Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Cheesywotsit, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheesywotsit

Cheesywotsit PetForums Member

Good afternoon everyone this is my first thread so im hoping that it will go on ok (not to good with forums ) . our breader said that our pup(10 weeks) was eating 4 meals per day but she said last night that i might like to go about changing this to 3 times per day .how do i go about this ? shall i just do it straight away and what time scale should i leave between each meal ?im guessing that i will be giving more each feed but how much more ? .i was so excited collecting him that i forgot to ask more detail about this ! silly me .any help would be great thanks
    sorry we are feeding him royal canin and butchers puppy food trays

2. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i was feeding my pup 4times a day but we have changed her down to 3 now, she is 9.5weeks old. we only did it because she didnt seem to be looking for her meal in the evening anymore.
    we were feeding at 7.30am, 12pm, 4pm and 8pm. so we have now cut out the 8pm and have extended the period between the others so its more like 7.30, 1, and 5.30. then in the evening she is getting a few biscuits which seem to do her fine.
    as for the amount of food, the pup will be getting slightly more at each feed.
    also by not giving her the late feed, she is less likely to need the toilet through the night. though she only ever had an accident through the night the first 2 nights we had her. every other night she sleeps right through.

what kind of pup is it?

3. Cheesywotsit

Cheesywotsit PetForums Member

aww thanks ducky great reply ..
    i was thinking .. to keep him in a routine to feed him maybe half an hour before we eat ..you know all that alpha wolf thing lol might work but if we do it this way then maybe his poo's and wee's will become regular ?? what do you think ?

4. Jennifer Fox

Jennifer Fox PetForums Newbie

Try to gradually reduce the amount of food per serving. I switched from 4 feedings to three feedings when Lucy was 6 months old.

5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

@Jennifer Fox are you aware that you're bumping up ridiculously old zombie threads? This one is over a decade old! All posts have a time/ datestamp at the bottom - I suggest you check these before replying. Be worth checking your forum view settings also, mine are set so that the most recent threads are first.

JoanneF and Jennifer Fox like this.
  6. Jennifer Fox

Jennifer Fox PetForums Newbie

Wow, I did not notice, thanks for the advice!

Torin. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice