Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog food.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ajrimmer, Aug 22, 2013.

1. ajrimmer

ajrimmer PetForums Member

I have a lab cross collie he's 2 years old, weighs about 39kg.
    At the moment he seems more hungry than usual, he has wagg for breakfast and tea and when I can afford it I get him some Royal Canine diet food, so he has more nutrients, but it's so expensive just for a little bag.
    I think he needs more nutrients in his diet, does any know any better food I can give him? The wagg was perfect cuz it was cheap for the amount that's there but if my dog isn't getting what he needs now I will have to find something else :/

2. GoldenRetrieverman

GoldenRetrieverman PetForums VIP

I would say avoid both wagg and royal canin. They are both full of nasty preservatives and additives.

If you are on a budget try skinners field and trial. The duck and and rice variety is £20.69 for a 15kg bag on amazon subscribe and save. It is much better than Royal canin.

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Try looking at these indexes.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/255727-updated-dry-dog-food-index.html

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/305410-updated-wet-dog-food-index.html

And I'll include this one in case you want to think about raw.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/111437-raw-feeding-everything-you-need-know.html

Things may seem expensive but you have to feed less with the better foods. For example with Lily's Kitchen I only have to feed my 27kg Lab x, 210g a day with it. However I feed raw because it is cheaper than the better dry/wet foods. I can feed 3 dogs all needing 500g + a day for £40 a month. :)

4. ajrimmer

Thank you guys. The only reason I started using Royal Canine is because the vet wanted to put my dog on a diet and suggested that, but I will have a look at these for sure! Thank you muchly :)

5. GoldenRetrieverman

Vets always recommend foods like royal canin, hill science plan etc.
    Dont be affraid to add table scraps like meat and veg to your dogs kibble either. :D

6. ajrimmer

haha oh don't worry, he's spoilt, he gets a few left overs if there is any :p haha.

Also I would like to ask about the weight of my dog, he's a chocolate lab cross collie, weighs 39kg and the vet wants him down to 30kg, personally I don't think he should go down to that weight, he gets plenty of exercise and I give him what it says on the food, he has been neutered, and his mum who was the lab was a big girl, all vets say the same "put him on a diet" but I don't know if they are just saying that because he looks like a black lab :/ Someone else I spoke to said that his weight was fine and he's a perfectly healthy dog, do any of you have any thoughts? :/

7. GoldenRetrieverman

Dont feel the need to feed what the bag says. You feed by eye. If your giving left overs aswell you need to reduce the dry. You should be able to feed his ribs with light touch and his weist should tuck in. 39kg does sound heavy for a lab. Its heathier for a dog to be lean. Labs commonly have joint problems aswell so its a good idea to keep the weight off.

8. ajrimmer

If he has treats or anything I always take that away when he has his food :)
    Thanks for the help.

9. Jackdown1990

Jackdown1990 PetForums Newbie

Hi i have a 8 month year old Jack Russel called Rex, what is the best food that i could feed him? Thank you.

10. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

The best dried food would be someone along the lines of Simpsons 80/20... expensive though.

80/20 Mixed (Chicken,Fish,Turkey)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice