Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Marilyn Viemar, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Marilyn Viemar

Marilyn Viemar PetForums Newbie

When I read this I almost cried. I could not believe that this sort of thing was allowed. I always fed my Labs the best food I could afford and I couldn't understand why they died so young (around 14 years old) Now I know why they had those horrible lumps on their skin.

Healthy Pet Treats - Healthy Pet Treats

2. crawfom

crawfom PetForums Newbie

Totally agree with how bad some of the main commercial feeds are.
    That is why I will only feed a decent quality natural hypoallergenic food:)

I cannot see how Pedigree can claim it Better with Nature stuff is any better when they don't even admit to what goes in it. What are 'derivatives of vegetable origin" anyway.

I discovered a great new (and actually natural) food in my local Sainsburys called Joe & Jacks and my dog MAX loves it.
    It seems even better than Burns, which I used to feed, but I can get it when shopping and so don't need to drive somewhere else to get the dog food!
    I think they;ve got a good website but can't remember the adress

My advice to anybody want to avoid the muck that is available is look at the ingredients list. If you don't understand what is in it there is probably a good reason why the manufacturer doesn't want you to!

3. Marilyn Viemar

Marilyn Viemar PetForums Newbie

Hi,

It's terrible because the avererage pet owner that cares deeply for their pet is not aware they are harming them even when they buy some of the better brand name dry dog food. My understanding is that pet food manufactureres paid big money for the priviledge of omiting the listing of ingredients in dog food. I do know one thing for certain. My dogs died before their time because I fed them good quality dry dog food.

My Lab Heineken developed terrible lumbs on his legs and had seizures and I had to put him down and he was only 14. I felt so bad the day he died I wrote this poem.

Friends like you are hard to find
    Gentle trusting true and kind
    And when day at work is through
    Nobody seemed as gald as you

For my best friend

Yes I have other friends it's true
    But none of them will ever be like you . . .

That is why I posted this link. Maybe it will save someone from making the same mistakes I did.

Healthy Pet Treats - Healthy Pet Treats

Marilyn

4. Carolyn

Carolyn PetForums Newbie

Hi Marilyn

Was going to look at this but the link seems to be broken

5. nellie_dean

nellie_dean PetForums Member

Pet treats are a big con, always have been and always will be.

However, the comment 'My understanding is that pet food manufactureres paid big money for the priviledge of omiting the listing of ingredients in dog food' is almost certainly not true, and that's said with the benefit of many years experience in the industry :confused:

You've two options with commercial pet treats

1) Highly manufactured, coloured, preserved, extruded and fancy looking 'sweets' which are probably no better or worse healthwise than the many sweets and snacks available for humans - but are NOT essential nutrition for your dog, and merely add to the daily calorie and fat intake and possible long term health problems. If you are feeding these then you seriously need to consider stopping!!

2) Healthier options which tend to be biscuit shapes. What you are buying here is simply a light recipe dog food extruded into shapes and charged out at a ridiculous price. Or even worse, a cheap mixer recipe extruded as a bone shape.

Consider this:

James Wellbeloved natural Crackerjack treats per kilo works out at £9.74
    Wainwrights fish & potato treats from Pets at Home work out at £7.61/kg

However, when you look at their equivalent complete dog food, the James Wellbeloved works out at £2.27/kg and the Wainwrights at £1.96/kg

So you are paying an extra £7/kg for James Wellbeloved to package their pet food into little bags and call them treats!!! :eek:

However there are alternatives WHICH COST NOTHING :D

1) Go to your pet shop and ask for sample packs of different manufacturers foods - particularly if they are 'light' recipes and from good brands such as Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved, Burns etc . Use these as treats, they're free and last for ages.

2) Try your pet with raw veg. Small pieces of carrot are usually a great treat, as well as broccoli and cauli stalk. And they are healthy

Say no to costly treats - Say yes to freebies!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice