Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog food worry

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sarahliz, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Sarahliz

Sarahliz PetForums Newbie

Hi, does anyone else feed their dogs Burns food?

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I did for years, and brought up a puppy on Burns and it wouldn't bother me to feed again.

Helped my dog greatly with a liver problem, managed to put weight on as well.

I thought my puppy grew nicely as well. Vets always happy with weight gain.

Many prefer Skinner's and say it's similar, but I just think my dogs did better on Burns. I can't now with the dogs I have now, so have to stick to venison based kibble.

It's what suits your dog, budget and lifestyle at the end of the day.

Burns Alert is usually reasonably priced, can be exceptionally cheap at times on Amazon.

Burns customer service is good too.

3. Sarahliz

Thanks for replying. My two have been on it since they were pups but when I bought a new bag I noticed the food was different, smelt different and looked different. When I asked Burns they said they had switched manufacturers and the ingredients were sourced from a different place but I found what I think is a piece of bakers food in it

mollypip likes this.
  4. lullabydream

That sounds odd...but then saying all that...how many actual dog food processing manufacturers can there actually be. Of course certain brands are under one under umbrella but not sure about who actually manufacturers...

However, the food should be identical formulation to what you are used to. Since what it says on the tin so to speak is very straightforward, and should be the same...
    If there is any cross over especially since they state it's good to manage certain medical conditions it should say about this on the packaging...a bit like our food saying may contain nuts. Personally I would take a photo and contact them again, as it may be a quality control issue that hasn't been highlighted...

Shame if it keeps happening or they will loose valued customers.

Sarah1983 likes this.
  5. Sarahliz

Yeah that is what worries me, the food should be exactly the same regardless of where it is made. They gave me some cock and bull story about how if we both made a cake it would not be the same so I said yes but it would still smell the same!!
    They have lost a customer anyway I am switching my furkids to Millies Wolfheart, once my trust is knocked that's it. I just worry that they may be using the same ingredients as Bakers now..

6. lullabydream

Can I ask if you are feeding large dogs or small dogs?
    Wolfworthy is worth a look at too...
    Many feed Akele, and I think they stock a generic grain free food too

Feeding guides are a lot lower on all of these in my opinion

Purizon at Zooplus is good, if you shop at zooplus

Plenty of choice out there.

7. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Why, has the list of ingredients changed?

8. Sarahliz

Hi we are feeding two Golden Retrievers. I am switching them both onto Millie's Wolfheart now

lullabydream likes this.
  9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I do believe some dog foods are manufactured within the same massive factory (Golden Acres used to be one), so the odd stray nugget from a different food may on occasion happen.

Doesnt mean the ingredients or quality has changed.

lullabydream likes this.
  10. Sarahliz

but the food has changed colour and smell and size so I am very uncomfortable tbh I just don't feel it's the same food and I don't want my dog food anywhere near bakers food that's for sure!

11. mollypip

mollypip PetForums Senior

Oh lord his has really caught my attention!!, I have my collie on burns because it ended up suiting her the best for her chronic pancreatitis. I finished a large bag about 2 months ago and now I've started using the smaller bags and I could have sworn the kibble looked a bit different and was a slightly different size, and for the past month her pancreatitis has been playing up with nausea and stomach pain.

When did they apparently change manufacturers do you know?

If its within this timeframe things add up. The best before dates seem longer too, the big bag I had finished 2 months ago was almost at its end of date, my new bags go right into next year before they go out of date.

12. Sarahliz

Omg really? This isn't good at all! Aww that's awful for your poor collie
    I don't know exactly when they changed but a 15kg bag lasts my two approx 6 weeks and the new bag I ordered came a week ago and I immediately noticed the difference and my boy doesn't like the new food although my girl is ok with it. When I found the bakers in it that just tipped me over the edge, I am taking them off it. I would ring Burns and tell them like I did. They need to be told. Let me know how you get on.

mollypip likes this.
  13. mollypip

Thanks a mil! It was your post that made me realise it wasn't my imagination! I'm going to try her now on James Wellbeloved grain free senior and see if this might suit her, shes off the Burns from now:(

14. Sarahliz

No problem people need to know.
    I would be careful with JWB as pedigree apparently bought them. I am switching to Millie's Wolfheart now. Really hope your dog is ok, it's just awful isn't it

mollypip likes this.
  15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Over ten years ago.

lullabydream likes this.
  16. Sarahliz

That long ago? Blimey! I heard the food wasn't as good as before, my friend noticed a difference

17. mollypip

Ive very few options left with my dog as she needs gluten free , lower fat food, so the ingredients in this particular one look ok and the fat content is under 10℅

18. lullabydream

Wafcol light any good? Think it's salmon and potato one.

mollypip likes this.
  19. mollypip

Ive tried Wafcol but she wouldn't eat it!! Thank you

lullabydream likes this.
  20. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Strange but an acquaintance that has fed her dogs Arden Grange for years also noticed that the new bags looked and smelt different (it also gave her dogs diarrhoea). Arden Grange used to be an independent company but I think they have also been swallowed up by one of the big boys. My friend rang Arden Grange but they denied that the food was any different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice