Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog food protein levels?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sarahnorris, May 10, 2010.

1. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

thinking about changing my dogs food...

seen an ad:

For Sale:-

Chicken & Rice 19% Complete Dry dog food for working dogs in 15kg bags. Limited stock available. Buy as many as you want.

Bags were £10 per bag NOW ONLY £8 per bag. Don't miss out

Typical Analysis:-

Protein 19%
    Oil 10%
    Fibre 2.5%
    Ash 4.5%
    Vit A 12500iu/kg
    Vit E 125mg/kg
    Vit D 1250iu/kg
    Copper 16mg/kg

is this good?

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Any idea what the ingredients are? and what make?

3. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

not sure whether its good or not hun, we always go for food with 24-26% protein in it for our bordeaux!

4. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

Chicken & Rice 19% Complete Dry dog food
    that's all it says, and doesn't say the brand...

i wasn't sure if high protein was good or bad?
    i know that high in cereals is bad right?

im getting myself all confused! :S

5. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

Depends :D Do you have a rig for your dogs or bike them?

Dogs that do working jobs or regularly have lots of exercise benefit from a higher carb diet because they burn it off. Without an ingredients list I can't really say whether it's good or bad.

What are you currently feeding? :)

6. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

Diva is only just started pulling light things, a tyre ect. not quite onto the big boy stuff yet! but she does get alot of exercise but she isn't a big eater, either that or she doesn't like what shes on, she sorta picks at her food and a bowl of food will last all day or two!

shes on science plan: large breed.

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I prefer to feed low protein, my dogs are working breed but they dont work so its ok, i feed burns at 18.5% a friend of mine feeds his labs this but in the working season he feeds them a food with more protein so i do think it depends if the dog works or not.

8. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I tend to give my dogs food that is about the same protein,but they are labs and im not sure if yours have different requirements.What are yours on just now?

9. haeveymolly

He likes the burns for his labs so only changes it when needed i.e shooting season, mine are springers and cocker so definetly benefit from low protein.

10. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Mine are on the CSJ champ which is 20%,but found any more than that really doesnt work well with my lot.(even as puppys they were better on lower protein)

11. haeveymolly

I always gave mine low protein when puppies, i much prefer slow growth in puppies.

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I have an active little terrier and switched her to skinners adult when she was 10 months. Went from 26% protein in puppy to 20% skinners. Their duck and rice is only 18% and these are working variety feeds. The puppy wasnt working dog food but since changing she has a really shiny coat and I dont have to coax her to eat.

I dont like feeding too many cereals if I can help it but I think if your dog is ok with them, then its up to the individual.

13. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

The reason that Burns 'works' to reduce weight in some dogs is that it is mainly carbs.... (you could look at it as filler, but quality filler). The excess the dog doesn't use is excreted which is why many dogs on Burns do a lot of poos. This was made clear to me when I visited a friend, ran out of dog food and could only get Burns - I looked out of the window the next morning and saw a wild rat tucking into my doggy's dumps!! :eek:

Obviously that does not happen when the dog is fully digesting his food... wild rats will not be interested in poos from a raw-fed dog, for example, but there MUST have been enough viable undigested carbs in it for another scavenger species to be interested.

14. haeveymolly

One of the advantages ive found with burns is that they do very little,hard poo's and not smelly, ive always found burns to be excellent i started feeding burns on advice when my first dog was ill and needed a good quality food we and the vet battled for a while before feeding this to get his meds reduced without success within 2 weeks we were able to reduce them, our youngest is the onl;y one fed it from a pup and whether its coinsidence or not she has been the easiest of my springers very calm attentive just so much easier to train, i do believe food has a big inpact on behaviour. I would certainly reccommend burns to anyone.

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am thinking of trying this one. Autarky Pet Foods | Herbal Formula
    It is quite high in protein which I don't like but it is very palatable and fairly small bits, I find a lot of the brands are too big for a small dog.
    Does anyone else use it. I saw it at a friend's house and her dogs coat is looking very nice though she is very overweight. Candy was asking for treats of it which is unheard of with her so think it must smell good.

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I used to feed it to my collie years ago and she got on well with it. Tried Heidi with it when she was on hungar strike last year and it really upset her. So thats one for and one against :lol:

To be honest, since coming here and learning more about food, its not one I would personally consider anymore but there are so many and we all have different dogs and different priorities :thumbup:

17. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Dogs have no requirement for carbohydrates. A dog fed a non-carbohydrate diet will not put extra weight on as excess protein can be excreted. Carbohydrates are not excreted but simply stored as fat. Our DDB are fed Orijen (40% protein) mixed with raw meat, including puppies. The puppies have the "low ash" version to reduce calcium and phosphorous levels to prevent growth abnormalities as it's an excess of these minerals not the protein level that cause this. There are some useful papers on the Orijen website:

Library | Orijen Pet Foods .co.uk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice