Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog food keeping fresh question!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jmb5000, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Jmb5000

Jmb5000 PetForums Newbie

Hi Looking to buy pedigree puppy kibbles and Best value size comes in a10kg bag. Just wondering how long this will last with just one 9 week old pup and will it go stale before it's finished?! Would it stay fresh in a pet food storage air tight container?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

There are many brands of puppy food that are much better than Pedigree (nearly all of them, to be frank).
    Without you saying what size of dog you have, it's impossible to say how long a 10kg bag would last. A mastiff will get through it quickly, a Yorkie, not so much.
    And the longer it takes you to get through a bag of food, the more likely it is that you'd get storage mites building up in it, which can cause allergies.

3. Jmb5000

Jmb5000 PetForums Newbie

Hi there. Point taken but I was buying this purely because this is what the litter is currently being fed and I understand you shouldnt suddenly change their diet. He's a cocker spaniel.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

In that case I'd get a smaller bag, 4 or 5kg, feed it for the first week or so then gradually mix in something better to transition to a good food.
    Not sure I'd be that happy buying a pup from a breeder who fed Pedigree to be honest. My litter were raised on Barking Heads grain free puppy, £70 a bag but I wanted them to have the best possible start in life.

Jmb5000, Mum2Heidi, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  5. Jmb5000

Jmb5000 PetForums Newbie

I do plan to insure him and take puppy to the vet right away for a check so can ask about his diet too. I'll do as you recommend and do one week on it I think.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Vets don’t have a lot of training in dog nutrition. Often recommend brands that are expensive for what they are. You could get better for your money or equivalent cheaper.
    Have a look at https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ its a good guide but try not to get bogged down.

Jmb5000 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice