Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog food help needed

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Messi_1984, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Messi_1984

Messi_1984 PetForums Newbie

Been reading through the dried food index, and as we all want the best for our dogs, I was alarmed as what I believed was good seems to be not so good. I have a 18 month old ddb, I have had him on tails. com dried food but he seems to scratch and shed lots, so trying to find the best for him on my budget, also reading some people saying grain free isnt the best either, so I would be very grateful for any advice or help that can point me in the right direction. I want to help his shedding that seems to be alot for his type of dog and also any help with the scratching, so I just know the diet isnt the problem. thanks very much!!

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

The best food is what suits your dog. Having had my two on a fairly good wet food all their lives, they both had problems with it so I have changed them to Chappie, Butchers and Naturo and they are so much better.

3. Messi_1984

any recommendations for dry food around the 50 pound mark for 15kg?

4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

James Wellbeloved.

5. Messi_1984

I would normally go for james wellbeloved but after reading the thread dry food index Im not as sure

6. Linda Weasel

Just going on my experience of it. Has fed all my dogs for the past 30 odd years, they’ve all done and looked really well on it. Lots of energy and great coats.

7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

At the end of the day the most important thing about any food is only that your dog does well on it.

You could have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

caterpiller likes this.
  8. Messi_1984

do you go with the corn free, or regular?

9. Linda Weasel

Just the regular. I’ve never had a dog with any allergies or whatever so I’ve just stuck with the basic.
    As @JoanneF, it suited my dogs and my pocket so I stuck with it.

10. Messi_1984

thanks, gonna keep looking, was thinking of going to james but after reading you can get better for cheaper, just seeing what people thought.

11. Linda Weasel

To give you a guide, a 15k bag of JWB, at about £40, lasts Tod (20k weight) for seven or eight weeks.

12. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I feed raw which gives great results and my dogs love it,but I always keep a bag of Acana handy.A friend of mine is having great results with Akela dry dog food it's an all life stages food and it comes in different kibble sizes she feeds the big paws version:)

wee man likes this.
  13. Silverdoof

Silverdoof PetForums Member

At the start of lockdown we had great great difficulties getting our usual Applaws dry food. Everywhere was sold out. Then i remembered a local company that had started up a few years ago. They had bought out A sensitive food - turkey & sweet potato.

changed our Collies over two weeks. (Breton on special diet). The collies have did fabulously on it Plus they don’t need as much which makes it very cost effective
    I order one day and its delivered following day by Courier. They sell all over UK and Ireland

It was certainly a godsend to us - Plus we were paying same amount for a 7.5 kilo bag of Applaws - whereas Flourish is a 12 kilo bag - hope its ok to put a link

www.dogfoodni.co.uk

niamh123 likes this.
  14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My dogs are doing very well on Lupo cold pressed (a different process to normal cooking/production of kibble) from Zooplus which I order online. £68 for 2x 15kg bags.
    The food is much denser than regular dried, so has to be weighed out until you're used to it. It's also grain free, single protein.
    I have had a dog with grain intolerance, and even though she died a few years back, I've stuck with grain free with my other dogs. There's just so much less poo to deal with!

niamh123 likes this.
  15. Messi_1984

thanks will have a look through them.

16. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

We use AVA dry food, which is a range by Pets at home. It suits our Golden Retriever Luna well and she looks great on it.

Blackadder likes this.
  17. Messi_1984

anyone tried
    Pure Pet Food Dehydrated Raw Dog Food?

18. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Yes. It came out looking exactly the same as it went in ...

I actually got a free voucher at one stage, and gave it away because I was so unimpressed. And I thought it was expensive too.

19. fffd

fffd PetForums Newbie

Messi_1984 - rather than trying different foods it’s best to take a methodical approach, starting with the vet. As your dog is scratching it’s possible that he has introduced bacterial infection into the skin. This will make the itch worse and a change of food won’t help. It can be treated with antibiotics and medicated baths. Also, the vet will check for parasites.

Finding out what a dog is allergic/intolerant of is often notoriously difficult and takes time. An exclusion diet is usually recommended and you can discuss this with the vet. Sometimes the cause of itching is environmental or even genetic.

Regarding the food, have a look at the ingredient list and post it on your thread. There may be something in the recipe that can be identified as potentially problematic. Don’t assume that grain free is best. Many contain white potato and pea derivatives which some dogs cannot tolerate.

BTW Pure Pet Foods dehydrated food is not raw (AFAIK). There are some new products on the market that are dehydrated raw. Raw food has a place in conditions such as you describe but that may be due to the fact that it is usually high in fat and low in carbohydrates.

20. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I think you are right.

niamh123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice