Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog food help - beagle

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by chachacha, Aug 22, 2013.

1. chachacha

chachacha PetForums Newbie

Hello I have gathered some of the dry foods in my price range and would like to know of any helpful guidance as to which to go for, I have a Beagle Bitch who is just over a year old, she is not a working dog, but a family pet.

Gelert Country style, lamb & rice - (is this just for working dogs?)

Skinners Field & Trail, duck & rice

Autarky, Salmon & rice

I also mix a small amount of wet food with her biscuits, so suggestions on these tinned foods would also be helpful.

( I am currently feeding her Harringtons dry food, and winalot or butchers wet - all are in red on the scale)
    Thanks for any responses and your time

2. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Gelert has more meat in it, however it has maize in it which is a pointless ingredient . Same for the Autarky.

I've just ordered a bag of Duck and Rice for my dogs as it's within my price range, better than my current feed and it's highly recommended on here...

I would go for the Skinners personally (as above)

Don't worry about the working dog classification. That just means it's vat free... so you don't need to worry unless the food is aimed at dogs in heavy work (which none of the foods listed are).

As for tinned food - I've heard Butchers Tripe is good.

3. chachacha

chachacha PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your help, I'm on her last bag on harringtons, so needed to purchase the new stuff soon.

So the "working dogs" status won't give her an enormous amount of extra energy than she already has? this dog does not tire, so to give her extra energy to burn off would really be something else haha

Think i'll try the Skinners out, only the Field and trail type I see

4. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

No, there is no reason why it would give her lots of extra energy...the Field & Trial foods are just VAT free - that is the only difference :) The Skinners field & trial food (The duck one and the salmon one as well) are pretty good for the price :)

:)

Like Dan said, Butchers Tripe Mix is a good tinned food and very well priced. Take a look at the wet food index for some more ideas :) :

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/305410-updated-wet-dog-food-index.html

I believe Lukullus wet foods are supposed to be good..http://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q=lukullus

Wainwrights trays from Pets At Home are quite popular on here, as are NatureDiet trays....it depends on your budget, but those are some ideas...there are of course lots more

#4 JessIncaFCR, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice