Dog food for sensitive tums

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by horsykatie, Dec 7, 2017.

1. horsykatie

horsykatie PetForums Junior

Hi all my dog is only Millie's wolfheart fish version and is a bit loose any other recommendations please for sensitive tums

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sensitive tum is rather vague, most dogs can eat a wide variety of food. Although here you will probably find those who cannot because it may have led then to this forum in the first place. Being scavengers by nature, many dogs can eat a variety without any problems.

Look at the the amount of food you are feeding This is one of the main reason dogs have loose stools on food. They over feed. Cut the food back by 20% and see if this makes a difference, and you could try little and often. The smaller amount of food, over more meals a day if your dog has sensitive digestive system.

The second is usually parasites and nothing at all to do with the food you are feeding. This needs a vet check and usually a 3 day fecal sample to be collected and examined.

Chopping and changing foods, can just cause more problems with dogs who truly have sensitive digestions.

Sproglet likes this.
  3. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Agreed, worth cutting back the food to see if that helps - especially if the first part of the poo is formed and then last part is sloppy as thats usually a good sign of overfeeding.

Sproglet likes this.
  4. wee man

wee man PetForums Senior

Millies wolfheart is a very good quality food, but you may be feeding too much!
    The other option that I would suggest is to use the Millies wolfheart 50/50 mixes. (not quiet so rich)
    Cut back on the amount that you are feeding and stop all treats too.

If you feel the need to give treats try giving pieces of raw carrot, any raw fruit or veg will be fine)

5. Sammyez

Sammyez PetForums Junior

Agree with the above advice. My pooch went through a similar phase, we cut back the food a little and added raw carrots and occasionally boiled rice to the food which helped. We tried a number of different dog foods before settling on a Lamb kibble recipe with sweet potatoe (grain free,sugar free, addititive free) The slightly lower meat content made a difference, apparently some dogs with sensitive tummies are affected by a very high meat content.

6. Abby Cox

Abby Cox PetForums Junior

Thank you for sharing this. My dog also has a sensitive tummy. I will try cutting back food. I really hope it will help him.

7. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow PetForums Member

if you mean millies salmon variety it is very rich in protein. my girl was the same when i fes her on it. give smaller amounts or mix with wet food.
    I suspect that this specific salmon version is quite hard on dogs to digest/get used to so never ordered it again. I didnt have problems with other millies varieties or other companies high protein products.