Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Food - Complete in morning or evening?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Clodge, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Clodge

Clodge PetForums Member

Hi

I was wondering whether it's best to feed a complete food in the morning or the evening. We feed ours a complete food (Natures Menu Tripe Nuggets) with terrier mix on a morning and a tripe block with terrier mix in an evening (not complete food). Otto's not eating on a morning but wolfs his tea down - does it matter if you switch so that you're giving them the complete in an evening?

Thanks as always!

2. rona

rona Guest

I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference, but I bet the tripe still goes down easier ;)

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

cant see why it would matter. But why are you feeding two sorts of food, I cant imagine a lot of dogs will want to bother with a complete food if they are getting tripe.

4. Clodge

Clodge PetForums Member

It's the only time he's nudging to get to the food!!

5. Clodge

Clodge PetForums Member

Hi

We were told that he wouldn't get all the nutrients he needed from just the tripe block so it was suggested that we gave complete for one meal and the tripe for the other but I know he'd probably be happier if both meals were tripe and we would be as he eats then! I was just concerned he wouldn't be getting enough nutrients as he's just one year old.

Mind you we've realised he's not a text book dog and we have thrown the guidelines out of the window as he's eaten more than they say he should as he's high energy!

Thanks for your help.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

tripe on its own wont give what the dog needs. Why not mix tripe and complete food for both meals. Try and find a complete food that tastes good. I am not sure about mixing the complete food with terrier mix (do I take it that is not a complete food). But if it is made to balance with something like tripe then the complete food might not be necessary. If the dog is eating the terrier mix ok then I would expect that he would eat a complete food if you can find one that suits his fussy taste buds!:)

7. davehyde

davehyde Banned

got to agree, most foods today are formulated to release the nutrients a dog needs. they recommend a daily ration for a reason.
    if you half this ration you are halving his nutrient intake which he needs for proper development.

i'd give him his complete with every meal and add a bit of tripe or whatever he likes to help it down.

8. bird

bird PetForums VIP

When does he have his morning walk? Arnie will hardly touch is morning feed if given to him before a walk and yet give him the same stuff after his walk and he scoffs the lot :D

9. Clodge

Clodge PetForums Member

He has his morning walk about 6.30am and then he comes back and has the complete tripe with terrier mix. We did used to try and give him his food before but he wouldn't touch it and now it's touch and go as to whether he eats it or not - he's a fussy so and so!

10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

most dogs are only fussy if you let them be that way, unless its a medical thing.

a healthy dog will not starve itself. it may play hard to get for a couple of days but will eventually learn to eat or go without.

i know we all get emotional and stuff with our pooches but a lot of the time we inadvertantly cause our own problems.

been there and done it lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice