Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog food comparison websites

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mum2Ozzy, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

Hello,

I have a 14 week old crossbreed puppy and prior to getting him i conducted FBI level research into dog food I have been using all about dogfood website and found it to be excellent source of information. I have recently tried Gentle cold pressed food with my pup and he was very enthusiastic so I thought about switching him onto it; it has excellent rating on all about dogfood. However I have come across similar website, pet food expert and was surprised they don't rate Gentle that high, or Guru for that matter (I'm thinking now that with everything that's been going on in the world UK based manufacturer might be safer choice). Any idea why such big discrepancies between those two websites?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Have you looked on allaboutdogfood.co.uk?

3. Mum2Ozzy

Yes I have, sorry if my post isn't clear - I'm wondering why would the food in question be rated so high on all aboutdogfood but considerably lower on petfoodexpert, try as I may i can't work out criteria used by the latter x

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Sorry - I must be short sighted! ;)

No answer why they should differ so much tbh

Do they explain their criteria?

If the food suits your dog then I’d leave him on it. It’s easy to get hung up on the quality but apart from avoiding the worst, I wouldn’t stress.

Chappie is not the greatest quality and pretty cheap, for example, but lots of dogs with sensitivity and allergy issues thrive on it.

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  5. Mum2Ozzy

Thank you, I'm probably over thinking as usual now I'm worried how Brexit will affect Gentle availability in the UK; I've only had a sample sent by them so far x

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

In that case, maybe look at UK alternatives so you don’t have to worry?

Torin. likes this.
  7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

If you want cold pressed, I don't know of any made in the UK.
    I stocked up pre-Brexit. I should have enough for it to last until July next year and still be within date.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Cold pressed is quite high in carbs. Necessary to bind ingredients together. If foods are graded by meat content, then cold pressed is going to be further down the list.
    Forthglade is a uk company. I’m not sure if they import their cold pressed food. I’m pretty sure the bulk of their range is produced here

niamh123 likes this.
  9. Dogsgiveyouhealth

Dogsgiveyouhealth PetForums Newbie

Do you rate allaboutdogfood. I was reading it today and it seems good. But one never knows!

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

As a rough guide.

11. Mum2Ozzy

I looked at Forthglade and Guru but since Ozzy loved Gentle and it seems Brexit deal is sorted I ordered itarrived next day as well (on Christmas eve), I was impressed!

12. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

I use forthglade and Rocco wet food from zooplus and Akela dry from wholeprey, my dog does really well on these but it’s what suits your dog and stock up on what you can x

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  13. Mum2Ozzy

I'm loosing the will to live with this dogwhen we had Gentle sample he happily ate it even on its own. Now that I bought full size bag he starts fussing again. Aaaggghh!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice