Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog food and gas!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by y2klovebug, Jun 20, 2010.

1. y2klovebug

y2klovebug PetForums Junior

Hiya, my pup is on arden grange puppy food as this is what the breeder was feeding them when we picked him up. We are over half way through the 15kg bag she gave us and im considering changing it as he has the most tremendous gas!!!! If we are sitting in the lounge and he is asleep he will suddenly clear the room! Any suggestions as to whether this is the cause or what food might be better? Thanks

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I think wind is very common in alot of young pups :) i personally thinks its to do with the high protein in the food,plus because they are eating often,theyre pooing often!!.A new food may help with the wind issue but it will also get better as your pup grows up and matures (eating less meals and pooing less etc)
    The thing is there are sooo many foods out there,what to change to!?
    Isla is on Beta pup,which im not keen on but she came from the breeder on it.
    Her poo is solid and she is growing well and healthy,but she does get wind too.Im going to stick with it for a while,then change her over.
    Her wind has been better since she dropped from 4 to 3 meals :)

#2 Bearpaw, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  3. slbrown2108

slbrown2108 PetForums Senior

hey

i have maisie on bakers complete dry puppy and not had a bit of bother with it. fantastic food and would highly recommend it . She has a great coat condition, fabby pearly white teeth, good conformation and has also put on weight which is great news because we got her in a very bad way. It certainly doesnt make her hyperactive or windy

4. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

a lot of pups are just windy! my pup is! funnily enough he is on arden grange pup too.

however my last beagle was on burns and he was a farter too. hehe.

it does get better as they get bigger and start eating less. arden grange is a really good food though. my pups look amazing on it.

5. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

When we changed Holly from Pedigree to Skinners and Raw, she was fine, no wind. The raw made her poo less, and we liked the fact she had to chew kibble, so kept that in the mix :)

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

When Alf came to us aged 11mths we just put him straight onto Arden Grange as matter of course as its what Arnie was on. He too could clear a room with just one blow. :lol: But we changed both boys onto Fish4Dogs, they're doing well on it and Alfs bum is near enough totally still now. :thumbup:

7. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Sorry, I'm really happy that your pup is doing great, so not suggestion you charge or anything as you're obviously happy.

But since the OP mentioned she was possibly considering a new food I have to say bakers is the worst of the worst as far as dog food goes.

Here's a review of bakers from the dog food analysis web site.

I think the first line says it all.

I also think puppies are just windy lol. Novak used to get the most horrific wind when he was a pup, it got better the older he got, but he can still make your eyes water lol. The food may be the cause, if I were you I'd wait until your pup is a little older, then if it doesn't settle consider changing foods, some foods just don't suit some dogs.

8. y2klovebug

y2klovebug PetForums Junior

Hiya, thanks for all the suggestions. I think i will keep him on what he's on for now until he gets abit older and just see how we go. Funnily enough before we bought pup home (and before i signed up to this forum) i was trying to choose a pup food to buy and bought a box of bakers - everyone i know came over and said how bad it was as its really high in calories and sugar, and people on here seemed to be of the same opinion - so i just use it as treats for training instead. (not that im critising anyone who does use it, it would have been alot more convinient as you can buy it in supermarkets but my pup is hyper enough already so i didnt want to be putting more sugar in him!!!!)

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My pup kite used to fart like a docker, she was on Burns mini bites. At 18 weeks she got a bad case of diarrhoea, going on to being more like dysentry, jets of fluid shooting out of her bum and landing about a foot behind her. Oh, and this was over Christmas, trapped by the ice away from home. Three trips to the vet later, involving antibiotics and probiotics, she was better and stopped farting. I think the probiotics made the difference to the wind. You can get Protexin from online vet pharmacies - worth a try.

10. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i put my pup on to CSJ and his gas stopped they also do treat designed to stop gas in a dog....... may be worth a try

11. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I think it's more the fact that there's very little meat in it, and what meat there is is from questionable sources. The dogs digestive system will convert most fillers in dog food to glucose anyway, so the sugar they add is extra sugar if that makes sense lol, and will make the dog even more hyper.

I can also second the use of protexin, Novak's been on the protexin profiber since he was about 6 months and it's inproved his sensitive stomach no end.

Still, I honestly think puppies are just gassy lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice