Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog flaps!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by LouLou4444, Oct 11, 2013.

1. LouLou4444

LouLou4444 PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum!

Our Schichon is nearly 3 and has had a dog flap since she was tiny. We trained her by using tape to hold the flap open and throwing food/toys through it until she got used to it and then she was fine. We recently moved house and had her new dog flap fitted in the glass door so it had to be a bit higher up and smaller than the old one (although we had a step built the other side for her). She can use it perfectly well but a lot of the time, she cries to ask for the door to be opened. However, if you get her ball out (her favourite thing!) and throw it out of the window in to the garden, she races through the flap in no time!

Should we just persevere and not give in to her. She's never wee'd on the floor or anything so I'm not worried about that - or is there anything else you'd advise to get her to use the flap comfortably again? I work from home a lot so am often here with her but there are occasional days when she's alone for 6 or so hours so I like her to have access to the garden.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Lx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice