Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog fights !!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by shelly50, Apr 21, 2011.

1. shelly50

shelly50 PetForums Newbie

please please help i am new to this and need advice. we have 2 bitches one labie who is 6 and one labie x rottie who is 9 they have lived together for over3 years but recently have started to have fights daily usually triggered over nothing but it is now getting to the stage where our youngest dog is getting a few war wounds and it getting quiet distressing, we dont want to sepearte them cause apart from the fighting they do everything else together and howl when they are parted from each other, one of the bitches has been spayed !!!

2. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

When did the fighting start? Has the one who isn't spayed recently been in heat? Is there an entire male in your area? Is it the same girl instigating the aggression or does it differ from fight to fight? Have they had vet checks recently? Have they been getting less walks lately than normal for any reason?

3. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Untill you can get some good professional advice (there are threads on this site dealing with choosing a good behaviourist/trainer) I would be inclined to separate them when they are unsupervised. Howling may be a nuisance, but a seriously injured dog is a lot worse!

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its odd they have lived together for 3 years and only just started to fight, I notice you say recently this has started but how recently? Is it possible the unspayed one is coming into season? Thats usually a common trigger when bitches who usually live together fine, can suddenly kick off and fight. Even if ones spayed, Ive heard the unspayed one can start of the other, or personally one of mine who was spayed for 10 years plus, started on the younger one who she had been fine with up until her first season at 9mths,fine when it finished and since spayed as well, but during terrible. Trouble is even if its one that starts it and the other is forgiving for awhile they get to the point where they have had enough and retaliate.

As You have metioned the younger is coming off worse, I take it the older may be the instigator, Just noticed she is 9, as a larger breed age 9 is classed as a senior dog, dogs can start to get age related problems at this age with things like pain and stiffness, that can make them hostile and snappy. The can also start to get behavioural changes and start to do things they didnt before, like becoming food driven, getting a bit confused and acting slightly odd. If the older one is or seems to be a lot of the problem I really think a through check up would be an idea to rule out health reasons for her behaviour.

Another possible cause that can unsettle dogs is major changes to their routine. Has anything different happened lately or around the time it started,
    like building work and strange people in the house, Being kenneled, Holidays
    anything that would be a change to routine and every day life. Some dogs can get extremely stressed out and fearful re-directing it on to something else in aggression.

Whatever the cause, triggers that would like start dogs to kick off and fight are usually, food,chews,toys,treats, attention from owners and other people,
    Confined spaces, Times of excitement like visitors coming. I would avoid leaving food and treats about, watch the attention you give when they are together, dont leave them together in any confined spaces or at the moment anywhere at all unsupervised. Maybe even feed them separate, and make sure all the bowls are up and gone.

Another consideration would be to get in an acredited behaviourist trainer especially if there is no season in the offing, a health check proves clear and there has been no major distruption, or even if a possible reason was found I still think it would be an idea to get in to assess the situation and behaviour, give you a support and a programme to put management and training in place.
    to deal with the situation.

CAPBT COAPE Association of pet behaviourists and trainers are a good one
    if you check on the link or email them you should be able to find an accredited behaviourist in your area. Otherwise your vets should have a list
    of qualified ones.

CAPBT - COAPE Association of Pet Behaviourists and Trainers E-Mail pethelp@capbt.org

Hope this might be of some help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice