Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog fights and small children

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Kane123, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

A couple nights ago dog fights happened inside my friends home while my 3 year old daughter was inside the house. It was a tramatic experience for me walking in on a dog fight knowing my baby girl was in there. She was in the other room sitting on the bed. As soon as my friend managed to get his pitbull off of the black lab there was another dog fight between 2 larger dogs who don't get along and are kept apart but accidentally let together by my friends dad opening the door not knowing the other male dog was in the room. They were blocking the entrance. All I could think was this is going to get out of control and my daughter is going to get in the middle of this fight somehow. My friend and his dad managed to break the fight up and my daughter was safe in the other room. Was this a close call for my daughter or am I just scared of dogs?

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Yes you are right to be concerned about a 3 year old child being put in a compromising position in a house where they appear to have 4 large breed dogs that don't get on? strange situation.....

Never leave her there again, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.....

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would not allow your Daughter to return to that house again.

You absolutely do not want her in a place where dogs are out of control and fighting.

4. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

I agree. She will not be over there again. I feel like a terrible mother for letting her over there

5. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

Yes it is a strange situation. They have a lot of dogs and they need to be separate. Some of them stay in rooms downstairs and the rest upstairs because the owners know they don't get along so they keep these dogs apart until something like last night happened and they let the dogs together by accident

6. sidevalve

sidevalve Banned

Er pitbull ?

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The OP may not be in this Country.

Not everyone has the same ridiculous laws as do we.

Team_Trouble, MiffyMoo and lorilu like this.
  8. sidevalve

sidevalve Banned

Fair enough about the location of the OP.
    The laws however are not ridiculous - they were brought in to protect both dogs and people. In a large number of cases the pitbull is used not as a pet but as a 'butch' status symbol and often trained to fight. Would you rather we had dogs used as status symbols by thugs and used in a life of pain and suffering simply to prove the point that we can have any dog we want ? A staffi is not a pitbull and neither does it look much like one and I wonder how many genuine dog lovers are so very desperate to have a full blood pitbull that nothing else will do ? If the pitbull is allowed back both the 'status' dog and dog fighting [and all that goes with it] will increase and those who have fought for it's re-introduction [with only the best of intentions] can rest assured that they have condemned many dogs to a gruesome death.

Franlow, SpringDance and Kane123 like this.
  9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Any dog can bite...there are many dogs just as powerful as pitbulls not banned, and still used as 'status dogs' whatever a person deems is fit be that pedigree, cross breed, or just based on looks, not trained appropriately, bred with bad temperaments the list is endless why a dog bites, however breed does not usually come in to it, and do end up biting others...so thank God the law changed so that all dogs can become under the scrutiny of it...shame that BSL was not abolished at the same time. Since it's not breed really either, dogs who do nothing except being born could be deemed as type are given a death sentence.

Lurcherlad, Kane123, MiffyMoo and 3 others like this.
  10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

The problem when dogs are fighting is that all they are focusing on is the fight itself and the other dog, and its not altogether unusual even if the dogs are not aggressive to people usually for even owners to get bitten trying to break up fights or anyone that may accidently get in the way while they are fighting because of this and because to a certain extent the dog is disorientated. So no I don't think its a matter that you are just scared of dogs, your daughter if she got caught up in the same fight or was located where it was happening instead of another room could have accidently got bitten.

With a total of 4 dogs in the house, who by what you have said don't seem to get on and have to be kept separate, even with the best intentions and security of trying to keep them apart obviously errors can happen and they can be let together by accident. I in your position wouldn't be putting my daughter at risk or in such a situation.

Lurcherlad, Kane123 and LinznMilly like this.
  11. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Oh how scary! Yes, you are absolutely right to be concerned and as others have said this is an accident waiting to happen. I agree that you should not allow your daughter over there again.

When my kids were young, one of their friends had a miniature dachshund who had badly bitten two family members. I did not allow my kids over to that house, but always welcomed that child over to our house. Ironically my house at the time had 2 great danes and two large mutts but the kids were safer here than there LOL.

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and Kane123 like this.
  12. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Did you just join the forum to support legislation that is responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands of perfectly sound, good, pet dogs?

If your concern is genuinely about the dogs, then doesn't it make more sense to prosecute those who would use dogs to fight and commit other abuse? Why not prosecute and punish the humans doing the behavior instead of punishing the dogs who did nothing?

And yes, genuine dog lovers do want pitbulls. They make fantastic family dogs.

13. danielled

danielled Guest

Any dog can bite. It's not the breed. If the powers that be think it looks of type then to them sadly it must be a banned breed, even when it isn't. Did you join to say basically all hail bsl for banning breeds? I have met a few pitbulls visiting family over in america and they just wanted a belly rub. My little westie can bite but he doesn't.

LinznMilly and Kane123 like this.
  14. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

Thank you so much for answering my question. I feel like such an idiot listening to people tell me I'm paranoid and that they are not after my daughter. I'm so thankful that nothing happened to her. I feel so bad that she was in the house for that...

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  15. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

Thank you I agree. I feel like such a terrible parent! I thank god everyday that my baby is ok

16. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

Al
    thanks for your comment even though you didn't seem to answer my question. I feel this is a bit off topic

17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The laws are ridiculous - BSL is ridiculous.

Pitbulls can and do make lovely family pets. They're dogs at the end of the day and should be treated as every other Breed.

Your logic that Pitbulls should be banned so that 'thugs' cannot use them as fighting dogs is ridiculous too.

Some people ill treat horses. Shall we ban horses?

Some people harm children, so should we declare it illegal to have a child?

18. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

the dogs could well be friendly and lovely with people, just because a dog is dog aggressive doesn't mean it will be aggressive or dangerous with people. In the throes of a fight and fearful though a dog can be totally disorientated and the fight and saving its own skin is the only thing its focusing on, so as said people can get bitten by accident, the dog doesn't mean to bite them at that point in time he isn't his usual self when fighting or fearful in a situation like that.

Kids too especially her sort of age tend to be very spontaneous in what they do, they haven't got the experience or common sense that comes with age to weigh up if something isn't a good idea or dangerous and if they should really be doing it or not most of the time, they just act and do things. So for that reason its probably another good idea she isn't put in the position, if she was there and saw them fighting who knows how she would react and what she might try to do, especially if she likes dogs generally.

LinznMilly, danielled and Kane123 like this.
  19. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

Very true. These are some things I've never thought about because I never really had dogs growing up. Very scary situation. It was a wake up call for me if nothing else

20. danielled

danielled Guest

Very well put. Buddy has accidentally got me once or twice when he has panicked though luckily it's never been an actual bite but could easily have broken the skin. He never has though not with his teeth. Accidentally scratched me which has broke the skin but that is when he is playing tuggy he tries to put his paw on his tuggy toy and accidentally gets me but he stops immediately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice