Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

DOG FIGHTING GAME RELEASED for Android phones

Discussion in 'Pet News' started by RockRomantic, Apr 24, 2011.

1. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

I know it's just a game...but damn this isn't cool :(

A dogfighting game application called “Dog Wars,” in which players fight virtual dogs for virtual money, is being offered through Google’s Android Marketplace.

Developed by Kage Games, the downloadable game allows players to choose an identity, pick their dogs and feed, train and fight them, thereby gaining “cred” and making money.

The game is now available for free download. Players can purchase virtual “adrenaline pens,” from Android which can be used to “revive your dog during a fight or even bring it back to life.”

“Never let your dog go hungry or thirsty… you must train it and feed it a while before you can fight other player’s dogs … Building Cred puts money in your pocket and lets you earn more in fights,” the game description reads.

“Let’s get it on!”

Given its exceedingly bad taste, and how it perpetuates pit bull myths and glamorizes cruel and illegal activity, there are many who’d rather see the game taken off — the market, that is.

In a post on BSL News, (BSL standing for Breed Specific Legislation), readers are encouraged to flood both Google and Android with emails and complaints.

(Android is an open source operating system created by Google. While Google does not approve every app offered there, it does maintain a website where people can complain about objectionable content in games and apps. You can find it here.)

The makers sound more than a little defensive about the game.

“It is just a video game,” they say in the game description, as if anticipating some controversy. “Perhaps one day we will make gerbil wars or beta fish wars for people who can’t understand fantasy role play games … Just because something is illegal in real life in certain countries, does not mean it is illegal to make a song, movie, or video game about it.”

It doesn’t mean it’s right, or smart, either.

DOG FIGHTING GAME RELEASED for Android phones – CALL TO ACTION | BSL News

DOG FIGHTING GAME RELEASED for Android phones – CALL TO ACTION | BSL News

cheekyscrip likes this.
  2. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

:mad: that is really bad :mad:

idiots :mad:

3. CanIgoHome

CanIgoHome PetForums VIP

Ban it
    Ban it
    Ban it

people do not buy it

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How is this any different from games like GTA? They all glorify criminal activity. Hell, you can even go and kill hookers for fun.

Bad taste yes, but we kill humans in games all the time, we emulate wars both past and present, yet there isnt the uproar like there is when its animals.

5. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

I know the game is extremely bad taste but there are games out there just as bad or worse. if you dont like it, dont download it, simple as

6. Erzs

Erzs PetForums Member

I think something fairly similar happened with RDR where you can kill and skin animals. I think, I'm not sure.

With games like this there may be more danger to them than your average COD or GTA game. People don't have accessibility to the weapons used in said games or hookers for that matter (well, usually!), but more often than not people have access to, or keep pet dogs.

It is just a video game but the comments made by the developers are a little ridiculous, for a start I'd question their ability to create a fantasy game if they class this as one!

I'm generally against video games getting the blame for violence in real life as after all it's up to the individual and you'd hope people weren't so easily influenced, but unfortunately some are.

As has been said, the best thing to do is just not buy it. It's in bad taste but they will always have the upperhand with saying it's just a game, because it is. And like Nonnie said, much worse can be seen in other games.

As you can probably tell I'm 50/50 on this. :p Plus, it sounds like a rubbish game anyway!

7. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

It's a horrible idea for a game and, as Erzs has said, some people are easilly influenced. I knnow some people from around here that will play the game on their phones and then take it to the next level. Next thing we know, dogs will be going missing.

I know some of you will say this is alarmist of me, but where we live this kind of behaviour does happen. Only last year we had to make sure all our rabbits were padlocked in as there were guys stealing pet rabbits to train hunting lurchers. When the police caught them their defence was that they'd seen it on the internet!!

I'm not a fan of computer games in general, but the violence needs to be stopped. Kids are becoming desensitized to violence and death, it comes at them from all angles and we end up with a generation that thinks violence is normal. I say the game should be banned.:mad::mad:

8. johnmuldoon

johnmuldoon PetForums Newbie

Honestly I would rather people play this game than do the real thing.

Yes - it might create more people wanting to try it in real OR it might make people actually think about it abit more.

End of the day its a game........as said alot worse out there.

9. DogLover1981

DogLover1981 PetForums VIP

How is this different from playing any other video game? I would rather people play this than fight real dogs. I play GTA and it is a violent game. People play video games that are incredibly violent and more violent than GTA.

#9 DogLover1981, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  10. Pheonix*Ella

Pheonix*Ella PetForums Junior

11. DogLover1981

DogLover1981 PetForums VIP

I didn't realize until reading more into it, but Google has no control over Apps released for the android since it is an open platform and it would go against the open standards for them to try to block the game somehow. Also, the developers probably like the attention the game is getting.

12. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

being an open platform is one of the reasons I love android. yes you get some nutters releasing sick games but you dont have someone else deciding what you should and shouldnt be allowed as an app like you do on apple's app store.

13. Thedogsdinner

Thedogsdinner PetForums Junior

It's no worse than some of the other rubbish apps on the market.

Really not suprised

14. Elmo the Bear

Elmo the Bear PetForums VIP

"A controversial app that many say promoted dog fighting has been pulled from the Android market.

"Dog Wars" was an app that let players train virtual pit bulls to fight by having the dogs pull ropes and drag tires.

In recent days a number of organizations have called for the app to be pulled.

Google appears to have listened and yanked the app from its store."

Dog fighting app pulled - FOX23 News - The 10 O'Clock News

15. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

....and so google starts off down the same slippery path as Apple :mad: what apps they gonna pull next because people disagree with it? Like I said before if you dont like it, dont download. Simple as that. Dont think this would encourage people to start dog fighting anymore than a fighting game like Tekken encourages fights or GTA encourages car stealing......or angry birds encourages people to throw birds at pigs :crazy:

16. Elmo the Bear

and how far do you apply that rule ?

17. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

huh? well to every app I dont like :blink:

18. Elmo the Bear

?????? ... so its OK for them to have an app for anything they want and if people don't like it then they just don't download it... that's your view?

19. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

its the same as most things. theres always going to be tv programs, books, songs and especially websites that you dont agree with but you cant go round getting them all banned. you can easily find a lot worse than this app on the internet - theres websites encouraging anorexia and suicide for goodness sake. these do huge amounts of harm. theres no point even trying to shut them down tho. each time one is shut, another one will just spring up. their are not exactly breaking any laws, even though they are morally wrong, so there is v little people can do about them besides ignore them

20. Elmo the Bear

But you're talking about the odd independent site set up by some oddball... this is corporate sponsored software... they shouldn't be allowed to produce irresponsible software and let the public choose... where does it stop?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice