Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog eye ulcer

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by EleanorLoftus28, Dec 8, 2020.

1. EleanorLoftus28

EleanorLoftus28 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

My dogs eye was a closed over after a trip to the beach, I took him to the vet the following day and they told me he had a little piece of sand or shell in his eye and it has resulted in a ulcer on his eye.

The vet told me if the treatment doesn’t work then it would result in him losing his sight and removal of eye.

I was wondering if this has happened to any other dog owners before and if this is a likely scenario or they have to warn me of the worst case scenario?

Thanks in advance,

Elle.

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Worst case scenario but always very possible. Fingers crossed it heals ok.

3. EleanorLoftus28

Thank you for the reply, hopefully it will heal with the eye drops.

rona and Blitz like this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Yes definitely worst case scenario. However still possible. Pugs (and other breeds with bulgy eyes) lose eyes very easily from scratches, so you do have to be careful.
    Fingers crossed it heals up OK. My girl had an eye ulcer (from eyelashes rubbing her eye) and it healed up fine.

5. EleanorLoftus28

Thanks Sarah, he is a little Morkie so his eyes are quite small thankfully and he is taking the eye drops well x

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

How is he today?

EleanorLoftus28 likes this.
  7. EleanorLoftus28

Mood wise he is his usual playful self and his eye looked fine today, then this evening it was closed over again a little bit.

He is due his eye drops now so hopefully it will ease his pain/irritation a little bit.

If he continues to squint tomorrow I will call the vet and ask for some advice, also I read online that he should have a cone to avoid him touching his eye, so I will enquire about this.

Thank you for your concern :)

rona likes this.
  8. rona

One of mine had to have the third eyelid stitched shut to protect an eye ulcer, This was several years ago
    Anything you can do to protect it will be a wise move

9. EleanorLoftus28

Did stitching the eyelid resolve the issue? He’s only 2 so I will do anything to heal his eye as soon as possible. Did yours have a corneal ulcer?

10. rona

It worked wonderfully but looked horrendous. It was a very long time ago, they may not do it any more.
    It was so long ago I can't remember the details, all I can remember is that she scratched her eye and it ended up white over virtually the whole eye

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I was wondering if stitching the eyelid would be the next step. Not the third eyelid, the proper eyelid. But the only problem with that is you cant them put drops in so I think it would be something that would be done if it was still bad after the drops had been finished with.

12. EleanorLoftus28

Thanks all, I have messaged ‘The honest vet’ on social media who advised I carry on with the drops and ask the vet to provide a hard cone to prevent him scratching it. I will update on Friday when he has his check up

rona likes this.
  13. EleanorLoftus28

Update: check up was cancelled due to a Covid outbreak, the referral vet has bad reviews so I will contact another one early next week.

The redness has cleared up so it is looking like it is healing well :)

rona and Sarah H like this.
  14. rona

Fingers crossed

EleanorLoftus28 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice