Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Eating Own Poo!! Gross!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Magik, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Magik

Magik Guest

OK - This is a problem I had recently with my pup. It's a bit of a taboo subject that is quite common and people seem to ignore so I thought I'd tell you about my experience incase it might help anyone else out there - who might not want to ask for help about Poo eating.

When my American Bulldog pup got to about 3 and half months he decided to start eating his own poo. It was horrible!!! his breath would stink vile as you can imagine! And being halfway through his house training it made things very difficult as I never knew if he had been or not as he would eat the evidence - EW!

As soon as I discovered what was happening I started searching the net to find out what was wrong with my dog - was he demented??? I was relieved to find out that this is quite a common problem in both puppys and adult dogs and is know as Coprophagia.

So why do they do it? It can be for many reasons. Poor diet, boredom, poor digestion, too rich diet or some believe they do it to hide their poo due to being afraid of their owners reaction - this could be due to a telling off they have recently had.

At the time my dog had been eating what I had been eating due to running out of his regular dog food - so that was the first thing I sorted, I also gave him some tablets called deter which make his poo taste discusting. Some people also recommended feeding my dog pineapple with his food which I was told would give the same affect as the deter tablets!-
    The Deter tablets and change of diet resolved this problem immediately and I was so relieved and for once happy to be cleaning up dog sh*t again!!!

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yeah but you missed the best thing about a dog eating their poo

then they come and want to kiss you :)

3. byrnitbaby1

byrnitbaby1 PetForums Newbie

Ive been told this is more common in bitches... apparently to clear away any sent especially after having pups. My bitch does it when she can get away with it and yes its gross especially when she wants to give me a big kiss afterwards lol :eek:

4. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

I think our Missy used to eat her own poo as i'd come home from work and smell poo and there would be skid marks on her blakets but no actual poo. She's 20 months old now and hasn't done it since she was about 5 months.

5. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

it is more common in bitches, some of mine have done it its disgusting, :mad:

6. Magik

Magik Guest

try Deter tablets.... they work!

7. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

havent got the problem of my dogs eating their own poo but my 6 month old pup won't stop eating poo from the cat litter, any suggestions? (tried putting it in a different room but he can now open the door himself)

8. Magik

Magik Guest

yes! Feed your cat the deter tablets... they are totally safe and are available for cats too and this will make the cat's poo taste really bad to your dog... after a few more taste tests he will break the habit...

9. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

good advice MAGIK,:):):) a friend of mine moved her cat litter trays up stairs to the bathroom as her dogs didnt go up stairs, so they couldnt get to it to eat it,:)

10. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

thanks will try

11. Magik

Magik Guest

or just pour your soup over the cat poo... no way will touch it then!

12. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

the cheek!

13. Tracy Wise

Tracy Wise PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have two labs one 9 one just a year old and I was interested to read your thread because my pup eats the older dog's poo!!! He literally waits for older dog to perform and then dives in to eat up. I, of course, was horrified and so am keen to try the deter remedy that was suggested. I did wonder in my situation though if this was a dominance thing on the part of the pup as he also stalks older dog in the park and lunges at his ears and tail continuously. I would be interested to hear other people's views. My older dog I have to say wees on the pups head from time to time probably to get his own back!

Maybe I just have two kranky dogs?

Many thanks , I am brand new to the site today and delighted to have discovered you all.

Tracy

14. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

i also heard feeding ur dog pineapple helps make the poo taste discusting aswell.

15. Magik

Magik Guest

I have looked into this quite alot and there are many different reasons for dogs eating their own and other dogs poo but the best way to end this behaviour is to make the poo taste foul to them. Try feeding your dog the Deter tablets or as Loe said mix in some pineapple with your older dogs feed as this has the same affect as the tablets although I have never tried it.... the method that is not eating dog poo;)

16. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

you woud have thought that the poo it self tasted bad enough, then dogs do have strange eating habits

17. junemzo

junemzo PetForums Newbie

lol...so funny

18. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

My dog used to eat the poo from other dogs when we went to the park. She used to be running around and get it in her mouth and run off somewere else to eat it.. Ughhhh.....
    She would never eat her own.
    It went on for ages. She even caught some sort of disease from it. In the end i bought a muzzle for her to wear everytime we went to the park. She was not impressed...
    But it stopped it from happening.

19. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

Our Labrador Jade has a thing for eating her own poo too, she loves it!!, She also likes to eat her kennel mates, horse, cat and rabbit poop too. :eek: All my dogs Lurve rabbit, cat and cow dung :rolleyes:

To be honest it doesnt bother me. They are all fed a quality food, exercised regularly, wormed , healthy and happy. I sometimes wonder if it is a natural behaviour...most carnivores eat the intestines , stomach and poop of their prey and i wonder if this is an extention of that natural behaviour?

Still not nice when thy kiss you afterwards though {{{{Bleurghhh}}}}}

Ang

20. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

cat poo is the worst it smells sooooooooooooooo bad, how they can eat it beond me, but hey each to their own:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice