Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog eating grass

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sonia123, Apr 6, 2011.

1. sonia123

sonia123 PetForums Member

hi all ive heard that dogs eat grass to make themselves sick because of upste stomach,s but lately my boxer cross husky has been eating grass every morning and making himself sick but he doesnt seem to have an upste stomach because he still goes and eats his breakfast.has anybody elses dog done this:D

2. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Hi - it's normal canine behaviour.

Some dogs eat grass and vomit and others eat it because they like it. My two have eaten grass in the past to vomit and at times they eat it without vomiting. I would only be concerned if they did it on a regular basis.

There are different views on this some say they eat it because of a build up of bile in the stomach and suggest giving them a small amount of kibble before they sleep others will tell you there is a deficiency in their diet.

Not sure if this has helped you. :001_smile:

3. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

My GSP has eaten loads of grass ever since we have had her at 16 months. She eats it every time she goes outside. She eats a raw diet including veg and doesn't have any tummy troubles and she is never sick. I asked a behaviourist about it last week and she said that some dogs just like to eat it, especially in the spring when it is young and sweet.

4. sonia123

sonia123 PetForums Member

yes thankyou for your advice:D this has helped me alot

5. greatdanes

greatdanes PetForums Member

Demi is allways eating grass, and hasnt been sick from it as yet

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

My pair eat grass all the time, occasionaly they will be sick on it, but the majority of the time they're fine. Time to worry is when the little beggars start digging up your lawn to get at the new shoots/roots. :mad: Not that it makes em ill, just makes a load of holes in your lawn.

7. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

My two stop to eat a little occasionally and they like to lick the water off of it when we are on walks, so sometimes they arent fully eating it.

8. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Must be a springer thing, Alf snatches as the grass as he's running, quick way of getting a little drink to keep him going. :D

9. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Bear lives grass and hunts out the bright green juicy bits and eats them we call him a cow dog! Lol

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

[QUOTE=bird;2356792]My pair eat grass all the time, occasionaly they will be sick on it, but the majority of the time they're fine. Time to worry is when the little beggars start digging up your lawn to get at the new shoots/roots. :mad: Not that it makes em ill, just makes a load of holes in your lawn.[/QUOTE]

Yes loads of holes in the lawn and then in the autumn mine also like compost so consequently they artistically rearrange all the pots of winter flowering pansies. I really don't know why I bother....:confused:

11. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

lol - with two great danes you should see my back garden it is like a quarry!! :p

12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Dillon love eating grass he even pulls the roots out and eats them as well, I'm beginning to think he was a cow in a former life.:D :D :D

13. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Just a note of caution to all those dog owners whose dog eats grass, please be aware that dogs can get lungworm this way, my dog eats grass and got lungworm, was told it could be from when snails/slugs go over the grass then dog eats grass, i now give my dog panacur for lungworm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice