Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog ear infection, cleaning it?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by acjb007, Jul 15, 2009.

1. acjb007

acjb007 PetForums Junior

Hi my dog has an ear infection which is being treated by my vet. He's told me to clean it out twice a day with cotton wool and water. The smell coming from the ears is enough to make you sick! I was wondering do you think salt water is better than normal water to help kill any bacteria that's making the smell? Or maybe a couple of drops of tea tree oil in the water? Thanks for your help!!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If your dog is on treatment, then id stick to the vets advice. Its unlikely that salt water or tea tree oil would be of any benefit, and you could cause problems with using tea tree in the ear canal.

Stick to cooled boiled water and cotton wool.

3. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Agree with Nonnie on this one, surprised they havent given you any special cleaner for him/her.

4. hairydog

hairydog PetForums Member

I would get some Thornit, clears all ear infections, and that 'cheesy' smell you are on about soon goes after a few uses of it. Google it, and you will find it, about £8.00 a bottle, and will last you years, use it all the time, or when i need too, never been to vet with ear problems since.As soon as i smell that 'cheesy' smell, a small pinch in each ear, and after about 2 days, it is gone, and ear is much better.

5. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

You could try some Sancerum ear cleaner, its great for keeping the ears clean, it does say on the bottle that it doesnt effect other drops but I would double check with the vets 1st:)

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I remember that smell well, how gross........ just use the water and cotton wool, it is nasty but it will go away as the treatment is working on the infections. I put some perfum on a peice of gauze and stuck it under my nose with tape. The relief of the pong was brilliant. Have a go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice