Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog doing really badly in the heat - cooling device recommendations

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by EmCHammer, Jun 1, 2017.

1. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Hello everyone.

My 5 year old staffie x boxer has had a tough year, been lame and diagnosed with bicpital (sp) tendonitis and avulsion fracture of shoulder.. had surgery that didn't heal well, and finally he is starting to get back on his feet.
    He has stopped his treadmill, and can have some 45 min walks over the past few weeks, and not too much haring around.

He has had some great days recently and some terrible days (last night he had a fab walk, today he was lagging behind and looking 100 years old). I have noticed on the days he is bad its been sunny - some days obviously warm, but others not that warm to me.

I think he really feels the heat badly now for some reason (never used to) - so looking for recommendations for 'cooling devices' can use on a walk - i.e. do bandanna's work? which ones seem to work well.. or are the more expensive Jackets really much better and worth the investment?

Suppose whatever I get can be used at home whenever it gets baking in the summer, he seems OK at home at the moment but he's not being active at home and is sensible at moving indoors when hot.

He won't lay on anything wet at home.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What time are you walking?

Early morning and late evening are cooler.

3. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

7am and prob 7pm at the moment

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Still probably too warm at 7pm for a dog that struggles with heat as you get all the retained heat of the day. You are better off just doing one early morning walk then taking it easy for the rest of the day.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I've been taking my old boy out between 10pm and midnight. Last night we did about a mile and a half by his choice. He was trotting out like a good one. We've just come in from a walk around the block and you'd think he'd just done a marathon.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

It's just not seemed that hot atm .. guess need to be more careful. My other dog is coping fine suppose not used to Scout being so bad he was ok last year when it wasn't too scorching

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice