Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog doesn't like dog food/advice needed!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Grace07, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Grace07

Grace07 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new to this forum so please bare with me!
    I have a 5 month old dog, Chaplin. He's a cross between a chihuahua, jack Russel, corgi and a Pomeranian. Perfect health, all checks and injections, extremely active and hyper, a typical puppy.
    I've been having trouble getting him to eat. He's just not interested at all. I have been through every food possible dry, wet, mixed, meats, fish and he just won't have any of it. He will nibble and have bits here and there but apart from that it seems he's only eating the bare minimum.
    It's the same with treats, they get left in his bed where he seems to hide items but never eaten.
    When it comes to human food, i.e. Food me and my family are currently eating, he will scoff whatever is given to him and scrounge at our feet. This makes me think it's more my fault, that I'm doing something wrong in training him or indulging too much. He's my first ever dog so I'm kind of going in blind.
    I'm starting to worry because I can see him getting thinner, wanted to ask for some tried and tested advice before I schedule a vet appointment, just as like a last attempt at getting him to eat.
    Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me!

(Side note: Chaplin brothers and sisters from the same litter are all doing really well, none share this issue with him)

cava14 una likes this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Give him home cooked meals more suitable for a dog that you know he normally eats. Meat, veg, rice, etc. Avoid sugar, salt and rubbish. You can slowly add some dog food and you might get him back on it completely in time.

And stop giving him any treats or titbits - any food he gets goes in his bowl. Be disciplined with yourself (and the family) and you can break his bad habit of begging. Put him behind a baby gate at mealtimes so he isn't under your noses if you eat off your laps or always sit at the table.

I was guilty of the same with my lurcher, giving him titbits and he just became a pain - but it was my fault so I stopped. It took about a week for him to learn I wasn't going to give him anything of mine.

Grace07 likes this.
  3. Grace07

Grace07 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply! I know I'm doing wrong by giving him bits, it's just hard not to sometimes haha, but I will definitely take your advice! Thanks again!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice