Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog doesn´t pee + vomits

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Edstrom, Oct 18, 2020 at 4:06 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edstrom

Edstrom PetForums Junior

Hi. My 10 years old maltese stopped peeing today. She´s recovered from a cystitis which concurred with her last heat. She was during 3 weeks under 2 cycles of antibiotics: ciprofloxacin first and then amoxicilin.

She was 2 weeks off antibiotics without any symptom. Until this morning she was eating, peeing and pooping normally.

This afternoon, all of a sudden, she stopped peeing (although she keeps making the "peeing pose") and started vomiting. I see she has some pus-like coming out of her vulva, so I´m pretty sure it is pyometra.

My vet said she could have a pseudo-pregnancy (because she keeps hiding behind a sofa and digging).

Tomorrow is Sunday and in my country tomorrow is Mother´s day... my vet told me to call him first thing tomorrow.

Now it´s night and I´m still 9 hours away before I can take her...

Is there anything I can do to try and stimulate her to pee while I wait till the morning?

Help please!!!

Thanks!!!

#1 Edstrom, Oct 18, 2020 at 4:06 AM
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 4:26 AM
  2. Edstrom

Edstrom PetForums Junior

Update: my dog finally peed! She started by doing just a few drops and it seemed that something got"unblocked", cause she then did 7 more times, two of them of a quite large quantity.

I suspect that vomiting relieved her, cause right after vomitting she drank some water and a while later she resumed peing.

I´m calling my vet in 8 hours as soon as he wakes up.

I´ll keep you posted.

Thanks!

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If it is pyometra it is urgent. I am surprised your vet left it. At least if there is pus it is open so not quite so bad, fingers crossed your vet takes it seriously.

Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Hope she's getting medical treatment now. How scary to have to wait so long.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Edstrom

Edstrom PetForums Junior

I am desperate. I called my vet and he said to take her first thing tomorrow to remove her uterus. It is Sunday and here in Argentina mother´s day, so nobody is willing to operate her.

He prescribed to give her 3 doses of cirpofloxacin.

Thanks!!

Blitz likes this.
  6. Edstrom

Edstrom PetForums Junior

Update: My dog this morning woke up with an apetite, so she ate some meat (she usually eats dog food, but I think it´s not a bad time to spoil her a bit) with the first dose of antibiotics. She is peeing much more regularly than yesterday (and larger quantities) although she peed some drops of blood this afternoon.

My vet said to give her a dose of antibiotics right before taking her... but I wonder if she has eaten/drank anything if she could then have the surgery? Isn´t there any time that needs to elapse without any food/liquids?

Help me please, I´m DESPERATE :(

Thanks

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Obviously the best clarification for this is by the vet but given the timings it might be too late. Though surgeries don’t usually get done until after the morning appointments ime.

Maybe hold off the morning oral abs so she’s empty and no issues to delay the op, which obviously you don’t want to risk. I doubt one missed dose will be a big issue, but ring the vet as soon as they open to check.

The vet should be able to give an ab jab for pre/post op back up and probably a longer oral course following the op for full coverage.

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice