Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Diet Food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sleeping_Lion, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Reading through posts, it always strikes me as odd when people recommend diet food for dogs? Mine are on BARF in any case, and if I think they look a little lean, I up their food, and vice versa. I've never had a problem with any of my dogs, in fact with the last oldie I took on, she needed to lose weight, so I just dropped the portion sizes. She couldn't be exercised too much, she had an odd gait from being underexercised and just growing old, and yet she managed to trim up nicely.

I'm genuinely interested in whether dog diet food is necessary, or is it just another product to put on the shelves to tempt us to part with cash? Me being cynical have always believed the latter, pretty much the same as with human diets, its what you put in that counts, diet and exercise are the only things that work in trying to control weight.

2. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I remember when i took OH's mum's lab to the vet for a check up they told me his was a stone over weight! (funny how they didn't mention it the week before though...) But he tried to sell me diet food, I declined the offer seeing as how it wasn't my choice on what to feed him, But his diet has never changed, and the vets have never called him overweight since... I'm not sure i beleive it, i think it should be more down to exercise and portion control...

3. LKelly

LKelly PetForums Junior

I'm not sure whether diet dog food works but I've heard lots of people say it does in particular Wafcol.

The way I have always thought about it is that diet dog foods are the same as us eating salads and healthy food with less calories and standard dog food is the same as us eating normal food.

I could be completely wrong though :)

4. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

My bridge baby Ailsa had put on weight and I asked the vet what was the best thing to do, she asked what I was feeding her, I told her she was on Burns, the vet said excellent food keep her on it just feed her less :blushing:. I think Ailsa was the only flaming dog to put weight on when being fed Burns, every other dog I know looses weight on it.

Terri

5. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Another thing a lot of people get confused about is light diets.
    A light diet is a complete food that is lower in fat and carbs but is to maintain weight for those prone to weight gain.
    You can use it for dieting but as earlier posts say feed less move more.
    The prescription weight loss diets are full of fillers so as to prevent ur pet feeling too hungary.
    My personal choice for my own is to cut out biscuits and mixer and replace with veg such as cabage which they love and brown rice.
    I dont alter the meat quantity but obviously feed lean white meat n bones.
    Incidently my dog is far from overweight in fact he could do with a bit more coverage....just wish I could donate some of mine:p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice