Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog dies after attack on Beach

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Redice, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

Just read this story in the local Newspaper today.

A KING Charles Spaniel died after being attacked by another dog on a beach near Weston-super-Mare.

The female owner was walking her spaniel along Sand Bay at around 3.30pm on November 10 when another dog - thought to be a Staffordshire Bull Terrier - attacked it.

When the owner tried to separate the dog, which was not on a lead, she was bitten.

The owners of the supposed Staffordshire Bull Terrier collected their dog and there was an exchange of words.

The woman took her King Charles Spaniel to the vets but it was pronounced dead on arrival.

A police spokesman said: "We believe there were people in the area at the time who may have witnessed the incident and have information to help the police enquiries.

"We would like them - and the owners of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier - to contact us."

Anyone with information should contact Weston police in 101 or visit Avon and Somerset Constabulary - Crime reporting

#1 Redice, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  2. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

:(:( Thats awful.

3. DT

DT Banned

How terrible
    The owners must be devastated.
    poor poor dog

4. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Oh dear what a terrible thing to happen, how sad for the CKCs owners.

5. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Sounds horrendous.

I dont know what I would do if I ever found myself in this type of situation. :(

Why oh why cant owners take repsonsibilty for their dogs actions :( I mean being dog aggressiv eisnt a crime but it needs to be managed effectively :mad:

This poor CKC has paid the ultimate price for the Staffie owners lack of control. And what whimp to walk away :thumbdown:

6. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Poor CKC
    But it doesn't say which dog was off lead or which dog bit the owner

7. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I expect this was on Brean Sands a very popular dog walking venue which attracts a LOT of dog walkers and dogs.

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

How awful:(. Stories like this really terrify me and really put me off walking the dogs.

9. Barcode

Barcode PetForums Senior

Absolutely awful. It's something I don't want to imagine. Something similar happened on the beach over the road from my sister's on the I.o.W - off-lead DA dog attacked a puppy, scaring my sister from walking her dog on the beach for a while.

The other week I had to pull off a 30kg Boxer from Scrabble. It had its jaws around Scrabble's neck! The owner was stood in the distance oblivious. Now, I'm quite physically strong and could do this - but why should I have to? Risking myself in the process. Not everyone will be able to do so, or some will simply not know what to do (I certainly didn't, I just reacted to what looked like an escalating situation).

Someone who lets their dog behave like this is probably not the sort to be forthcoming to the police about their mistake.

10. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

11. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

I thought it happened at Sand Bay in the OP I only ask as my elderly MIL lives in area and walks her dog on the beach at Sand Bay.

12. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

It's a sad day when seeing the attacker was a staffy doesn't surprise me .

Why in gods name can't these owners take more care. There's going to come a point where all dogs will have to be permanently leashed when in public no matter what.

13. Chelmsford Pet Sitters

Chelmsford Pet Sitters PetForums Junior

Tragic :(

Unfortunately there seems to be a rise in dog owners who are not training their dogs in the right way (or at all!) and also those who get staffies as 'status' dogs and encourage them to be aggressive.

Its frustrating for good and responsible dog owners to hear reports like this.

14. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

Same here, i couldn't ever imagine taking my dogs out and returning home without one.. :(

15. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

How sad. No wonder staffys have such bad press when owners allow their obviously DA dog to do something like this!
    I hate to say it, but the incredible amounts of 'incidents' like this involving SBTs has really put me off the breed and whenever I see one I always tense up and try and get my dogs away.

16. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

I often visit Brean/WSM with the dogs. What an awful incident.

17. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

How awful.

Poor little mite, rest in peace.

18. MyMillie

MyMillie MillieMoo'sMum

I am sick to the stomach on yet again hearing the most distressing attack on another little dog, the poor little Cavalier, breaks my heart :( I'm sat here in tears for this little dog and his owner who must be going through hell;;;:(

Something HAS to be done about these moronic owners of SBT's ..... the only thing thats going to stop this is making sure the morons are caught and hit were it hurts them the most! their pocket!....and never aloud to own a dog ever again!! Grrrr

I do NOT hate staffy's, I HATE the chavy moron owners!.....and please dont jump on me for saying this as I also know there are some very responsible staffy owners, millies dog walker has one and hes beautiful and well trained, also my daughters MIL has one of the soppiest loving staffy ever, ....it definitely boils down to the morons who get these poor dogs and turn them into potential killing machines like this one! :mad::mad:

Rest in Peace beautiful little Cavy
    x

19. MeganRose

MeganRose PetForums Senior

So sad :( Poor thing.
    Your post originally says 'thought to be a SBT'.. Surely that implies it may not have been? So many news articles say 'SBT type' dogs, when it wasn't a SBT at all..

It's so very sad. Especially sad for the owner of the dog who was killed, but sad for all SBT owners, as another story puts them in a horrible light.

Have you a link to this story?

20. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Because even most SBT dont conform to breed standards as they are from back yard breeders etc

There are so many staffy X's wheres its obvious theres some staffy but goodness knows what ese as peope breed them to be leggier and larger.

To be honest id cs 80% of staffies I see as staff types as they are not a pedigree Stffordshire Bull Terrier and true to Sbt confirmation - Hence Staffy types.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice