UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to start the day with a smelly post but does anyone have any advice for diarrhoea in an 8 month old cairn terrier. I think she drank from a smelly pond on the forest yesterday and now has horrid loose poo. Do I feed her or not?

Thanks

Alison

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Sorry to start the day with a smelly post but does anyone have any advice for diarrhoea in an 8 month old cairn terrier. I think she drank from a smelly pond on the forest yesterday and now has horrid loose poo. Do I feed her or not?

Thanks

Alison
Usually mising a meal or two is best and then feeding a light easily digestible resting diet like boiled chicken no skin, or white boiled fish (check for bones)
with plain fresh boiled rice usually does the trick. I just then keep mine on it until back to normal and maybe for another day just to make sure before -putting them back on normal diet.

Something to keep in thats always good is protexin prokolin too, its natural and helps calm the gut, puts back good gut bacteria and help firm up the toilet. You can buy that on line at vet pharmacies. This given especially with the resting diet usually does the trick if its nothing to worry about.

If she is bright and alert in herself and full of energy apart from the diarrhoea I wouldnt worry too much. If she developes other symptoms especially heavy vomitting as well and signs of lethargy or the diarrhoea becomes a lot worse they best to get her checked.

Just as a warning for the past several years now there is a illness that occurs
from Late August to Early November and its always happened within 24hrs or so after dogs have been in certain woodlands. But the areas and the number of reports are increasing each year. No one as yet knows the exact cause but it does need urgent veterinary treatment. She could well just have an upset stomach its not unusual at all in dogs. But as a precaution just be aware of it just in case. There are also certain types of algae that you can get at certain types of year mainly something called blue green algae that can make dogs ill if they swim or drink in infected waterways.

The Animal Health trust are still doing research at the first orginal 5 sites where the problem/illness orginated but do warn owners to be alert after illness after anywalks in forests just in case

Animal Health Trust | News | Seasonal Canine Illness | Help Fight Horse Strangles

Seasonal Canine Illness - how you can help us find this mystery killer - YouTube

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.