Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog diagnosed with CHF- Not Eating Anything

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kkrind72, Mar 12, 2019.

1. kkrind72

kkrind72 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

My dog was recently diagnosed with CHF (faulty mitral valve). He is a 7.5 year old Maltipoo that weighs about 10 lbs. Ever since coming back from the emergency center, he is not willing to eat any type of food. He was always a picky eater even before the diagnosis, but this is a new level. I understand that his appetite may not be the same and that he may also be nauseous from acid build-up. We've tried feeding him cooked salmon, cooked lean beef, and boiled chicken but to no avail. We have been force feeding him some canned food given by the primary vet through a syringe, but it's hard on him as well as us to see him go through this.

He saw a cardiologist for an echocardiogram, and here are the list of medications that he was prescribed: Enalapril, furosemide, pimobendan, renal k+ potassium gel, Entyce (to hopefully bring back his appetite but hasn't worked so far), and a couple more that I don't have know off the top of my head (I will post once I get back home)

Since he won't eat anything, even the meds are a pain to feed..we smash up the pills and mix it with peanut butter. Since he won't eat the peanut butter voluntarily, we have to either smear it inside on the top of his mouth or his nose to get him to lick it off himself.

Do any of you have any experience with this type of situation, and if so, what do you think would be my best route of action?

Thank you in advance.

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

how about giving his pills in squeezy cheese? Not many dogs can resist that !
    Have you checked with the vet that it's OK to break the pills up, some don't work if broken ?
    Foodwise he might prefer some poached white fish with a little plain mashed potato, that wasmy old dog's favourite when she wasn't well.

kkrind72 likes this.
  3. kkrind72

Hmm that's a good point! I'll have to ask the vet if it's okay to break it up. We just weren't able to feed it to him any other way. Because he's a smaller dog, it's hard to use the 'drop pill in back of throat' technique that I have seen online.

The vet did say that he ate a can of tuna while at the emergency center, but he hasn't taken to it at home. We just tried to feed him some baby food (Turkey and gravy), but he was disinterested in that as well. We are going to try to make some chicken broth with white rice and see how he likes that. I've seen from research that what he eats is not as important as the act of eating itself, which I agree with.

If there are any other suggestions, please don't hesitate to let me know! We are kind of desperate at this point as we don't want to keep seeing him like this..

4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I know it's full of rubbish but have you tried webbox chubs,Sal was ill about a year ago and went off every type of food we tried her with,my neighbour gave me one of these chubs to try and hey ho she loved them:)

kkrind72 likes this.
  5. kkrind72

I've never heard of those, but I will have to give them a try! Thank you for the suggestion, and I hope Sal is doing well :]

6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Sal is doing great now back on her raw diet,you can get the chubbs in B and M,wilkos and Tesco

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice