Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Destroying Bed

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lauren_95, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Lauren_95

Lauren_95 PetForums Newbie

My almost year old Coker Spaniel keeps destroying her beds. I think I have pretty much purchased every bed that Pets At Home sell and whatever bed it is she ends up destroying it, either ripping the zipping off, chewing a hole and ripping the stuffing out or tearing the bottom of it out. I can’t keep replacing her bed, she currently has a cushion which I don’t think she can destroy but with it being cold I’d like her to have a bed. Any recommendations for an indestructible dog bed? She won’t sleep in a plastic bed as they make a noise when she steps in them and this scares her.

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Or just get cardboard box and some blankets from a charity shop (when you can). These are all cheap and disposable until your pup grows out of the destructive stage.

lorilu likes this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

When does the destruction happen?

If when left alone it could be anxiety which can be worked on.

lorilu likes this.
  5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I had to look back at the OP there to see this 'pup's' age!

When does a pup become a dog? I would be calling this a dog. But, genuine question, when would you say @Linda Weasel ?

6. Linda Weasel

@tabelmabel. I think it differs breed to breed, but when they stop doing idiot puppy stuff. I’ve always gone more by behaviour than age.

tabelmabel likes this.
  7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Ha ha well you might know that mrs control freak here had the idiot puppy stuff stopped by about 10 weeks :Hilarious:Hilarious

In fact, i dont think it ever got off the ground in the house.

I stopped calling mine puppies by 6 months though.

8. Linda Weasel

I think I didn’t try hard enough !!

tabelmabel likes this.
  9. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

I would try and work out why she’s doing it. Separation anxiety? Boredom? Insufficient exercise? There is almost certainly some underlying cause to this.
    Cockers crave company and they are energetic, ‘busy’ dogs - they need something to do. Is she getting enough stimulation?

Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  10. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

i gave up with beds .. so just used some of our old duvet covers and pilled them in the front room and in his crate and never looked back...

also have you done any training so the dog associates the bed with settle and sleep? as otherwise the dog may feel its just another toy to destroy :)

tabelmabel and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

I gave up with beds with mine when he was young, thought he had finished the destructive phase and came into foam everywhere. Used to just give him old duvets and some fleece blankets. He’s grew out of it now, hopefully yours will too if there isn’t underlying issues like separation anxiety, he’s not destroyed a bed since he was about 18 months

tabelmabel and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Any feedback op?

tabelmabel and Ragnar&Biffy like this.
  13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Have you tried Vetbed? Most of my collies have destroyed their beds as puppies/youngsters but rarely chewed Vetbed.

Ragnar&Biffy likes this.
  14. Lauren_95

Lauren_95 PetForums Newbie

I don’t think it’s anxiety as she sleeps upstairs on the landing, we had her in a crate downstairs to begin with and she absolutely hated it. I might hold fire on getting a bed and try some vet bed until she’s abit less destructive and she’s still really playful so maybe she is seeing it as a toy?

15. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes I'd try the vetbed. My collies just chew their beds up because they like doing it, especially once they've pulled the stuffing out. They do grow out of it eventually.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice