Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog de-clawing and de-barking..........

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sarasquares, Mar 19, 2008.

1. sarasquares

sarasquares PetForums Senior

i cant believe that this is done, surely its not just to save cutting dogs claws and to keep them quiet? :eek:

please tell me there is a good reason for doing these things.

anyway, what are your thought on this?
    i myself was disturbed to find it that either of these two practices existed:(

2. sarasquares

if you include tail docking you dont end up with much pooch left :(

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Don't forget cutting and pinning the ears up, not really sure what its called, and don't know if they do it here, but I believe its popular in the USA

4. minnie

minnie PetForums VIP

i think that was banned over here allong with the tail docking?

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Ear cropping,it's illegal here along with debarking and tail docking.

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Thats good.

7. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Doing the ears has been banned for some time now whilst over in the States showing though you tended to get used to the ears, the neapolitan mastiff is shown with no ears at all :mad: My parents encountered de-barked dogs whilst they were judging in Australia but, the chords can grow back!!!!

8. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

I think legal docking on working dogs is benificial to them,but to dock just to make a breed look a certain way is wrong,especially when its done on the cheap by the owners!And what the hell is de-barking????

9. sarasquares

i dont think there is anything left to chop off now. imagine if it was all legal in this country:(

after you have snipped all the ends and corners off your dog all you are left with is a hot water bottle :eek:

10. carol

carol PetForums VIP

but still able to take the drew claws off, i dont do it with my dogs this should be band as well. unless for a medical reason.

11. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I used to own a docked breed and have decided not to have them anymore because of the damage they cause to their tails :( they are a natural working breed with the instinct inbred and although not officially worked they work the gorse and bramble up around where we live - it would be cruel to keep an undocked dog in this situation as the damage they cause sometimes means an amputation of the tail!

I used to groom an un-docked springer and it used to take me a good half hour just to unwrap the elastoplast from around her tail - bless her heart she did some damage at one time which necessatated her tail being amputated, gangrene set in and travelled up her spine she had to be put to sleep to save further suffering.

12. AJ

AJ Guest

Agreed! In my opinion all the things mentioned here should be banned unless for medical reasons! :)

13. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

i hate the idea of de clawing etc. whats the point surely it will ruin the dog?
    i dont really know though. :confused:

14. sarasquares

just in case you mi understood i didn't mean removing dew claws, i meant removing the whole lot :(

15. AJ

AJ Guest

Why would you even want to do that? :confused:

16. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Cant see the point to that? laziness maybe? my chi x yorkie`s claws grow a certain way which means they dont wear down with walks,so i have to take her to the vet every 6/8 weeks,also by then her dew claws are quite long,i have tried doing it myself but she gets so het up i worry especially as she has a heart condition,it took nearly 2 hours for me to do it,vets anyday!

17. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yeah here they remove the drew claws which i dont agree with.
    god knows why someone would want to remove all the claws, i have heard of this done in america with cats, so they dont scratch the house. how stupid some people get.

18. AJ

AJ Guest

If you dont want a cat scratching your house dont get a cat! Jeez! :mad:

19. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yeah or a cat scratching post

20. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Only in america!!!!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice