Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

dog daycare/boarding/walking

Discussion in 'Dog Boarding' started by Noonshappydoghouse, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Noonshappydoghouse

Noonshappydoghouse PetForums Newbie

Hello, I'm a newbie here and I was hoping to get some advice from anyone willing to give it please?? . . . .

I am very keen to start my own doggy daycare/boarding and walking business.
    I have completed a few online courses and have been awarded certificates in dog walking and basic dog care I also attended a classroom-based pet first aid course all of which were incredibly insightful.
    I have previously started my own business but it did not take off as I hoped t would and I made some silly mistakes which cost me my first customer and really knocked my confidence so I closed my business and took some more time to gain more knowledge and to learn from the mistakes I made.
    I currently am an employed part-time dog walker which includes some doggy daycare and I am learning some valuable lessons in how to structure my business which is great. I am considering attending a course to be able to teach others pet first aid in February to earn a little money while I build my business up only I'm sure how big the demand is for this service. I will be attending an intensive course on dog training and will be working on being amazing at that . . . . I'm already pretty good ;)

my concerns are that I have two children 1 is 10 and the youngest is 4, will be 5 in March which is when I hope to open my business. does anyone else running a boarding business have young children and will it have a detrimental effect on obtaining a license?
    I also own a medium/large female dog, she's a bullmation and she is the best dog ever . . . . . .bit smelly though lol my partner/bf and I are also in the process of adopting another medium/large dog, a female pointer. my question is . . . . will having two big dogs have an adverse effect on my obtaining a license?
    what is it like to have your home inspected? what are they looking for? what could I do to my home to make it ready for the inspection? what sort of questions do they ask?

thank you so much for reading and thanks in advance for any advice it will be gratefully received

2. joface

joface PetForums Member

I can't answer all the questions as each local council can have different rules but for my license:
    • children, they have to be 5 before a licensed will be issued so by March you should be ok & the children won't have an affect either way on the actual license as long as you have risk assessed the situation.
    • Having 2 dogs again depends on the issuing council, I think the rule of thumb is that you must be able to separate them all when you are not there i.e. customers separate from your own and also you will need an isolation room should one of them take ill.
    • they are looking for things like enclosed garden with good height of fence, a fire escape plan & extinguishers, contamination incident plan (i.e. what you would do if you came home to diarrhoea everywhere), how you will separate dogs, how you will dispose of waste, what cleaning products you will use, how you will keep a register of guests & their information.
    Most councils have a 'model licence conditions' on their websites which tells you what you need to have thought about & have in place in order for them to grant it. My inspections have always been very informal, cup of tea & a chat type affairs nothing to be scared of, they usually help you to get where you need to be for the licence to be granted but if you can't meet the conditions then unfortunately you won't get it or you may have restrictions put in place such as only being allowed 1 dog at a time

Noonshappydoghouse likes this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Good luck with starting your business. :)
    Its good to hear you have taken the courses and are well prepared .
    As joface said , its best to ask your local council . I looked into this some years ago and you weren't allowed to have your own dog :(

4. Noonshappydoghouse

Noonshappydoghouse PetForums Newbie

That's really great advise, I thank you very much Joface

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice