Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog crying at night

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kelly, Jan 3, 2008.

1. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

my dalmation labrador x is 12 weeks old during the night he was in his crete in the living room, we have now moved him into our other dog's room (rottie doberman x 3yrs old) still in his crete at night, and he wont stop crying all night!! we've been ignoring him as felt he would settle ut it's now been a week and ive had little sleep. we did take him out back in the middle of the night just to make sure it wasnt that he needed to go to the toilet (he did go) but then continued to cry! we're off to buy a new bed for him to see if that helps but im concerned about leaving him out of his crete as he loves to eat everything in sight!

any suggetstions?
    kelly

2. bullyb

bullyb PetForums VIP

definately do NOT give up the crate training, you must nearly be there. a week is a long time, usually it should only take 3-5 days so keep it up. he wil eventually settle. i know its hard, i have bulldogs and both are crate trained, if they werent they would chew everything! do you crate him when you go to shops etc?

3. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yep i agree with the other post dont give up
    and do carry on ignoring him otherwise hell learn if i cry you come down
    you could try the water bottle
    fill up a bottle and when he starts come down dont say a thing and squeeze some on him then walk off
    sounds bad but it not.
    good luck

4. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

yes i do put him in the crete when we go out.
    our thoughts were that he wants to be with our other dog but cant get to him as they lay together in the evenings on their cushions in our living room.
    we've now got him his own bed and are going to leave his crete open for him to use as a toilet during the night fingers crossed this works!

kelly

5. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

I have had a full nights sleep!! we gave the puppy his new bed and a tasty bone and didn't hear anything until he came into our room when our alarm went off!! :)

6. bullyb

bullyb PetForums VIP

thats great!! be sure to still use the crate though or else he will chew his way through your house!!:D

7. Ahomes

Ahomes PetForums Newbie

thanks for the advice, i just got a pup yesterday and it cried all night, in the morning i let her out and she was fine as long as she played with our neighbors dog. should i ask if i can keep the pup with their dag for the night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice