Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog crate furniture

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kenla210, Jul 1, 2009.

1. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=42PY&bhcp=1

These kind of things seem to be fairly common in the States but very difficult to track down in the UK. The only company that I have seen doing anything like this is ridiculously expensive.

Does anyone know of anywhere else doing something similar but not at the £250+ price range.

I have Daisy's crate in our front room and it would be good if it was a bit more easy on the eye (currently has a blanket draped over it) especially as we are about to get puppy number 2 and so will have 2 crates there :eek:

Doesn't have to be real wood, and ideally would be a solid "cover" for the crate (just top and sides no front).

If no joy then am considering knocking one up with mdf and some white paint! Maybe there is a business idea here...

2. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I found a lovely stainless steel modern crate a while back - in the US! It was a lot of money but when I enquired about shipping, the shipping alone was £700 :eek: After lots and lots of internet searching for a stylish crate from the UK I drew a blank.

I think there is a gap in the market for a stylish crate.

I guess you could see if a carpenter could knock something similar up for you.

3. kenla210

think you are right about a gap in the Market. Google really doesn't turn up anything that is not ridiculously priced...
    Got on the phone to my cousin who is a chippy, and cabinet maker originally, and we are going to work on a prototype design (so yay I get to test it) and go from there.
    Out of interest, what do any of you think of the idea of wooden/painted mdf crate covers? What sort of price would you expect to pay for a good quality, handmade crate cover which made your crate look like proper furniture?
    Is this a mad idea???

4. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

You could ask your local cabinet maker or carpenter how much they would charge you to make one, they may be low on work atm so you may get a good price. Design your own to your own specifications (size, materials, style) and you'll be made up with it!

Or have a go at making one yourself, making a box really isn't too difficult, even for a begginer ;) If you sign up for an adult education course you could even make one as your project - imagine how proud you'd be!!

5. Cuddypuppy

I personally think this is a good idea. Dog crates are, well, not all that pleasing on the eye. If the item is functional and safe, I am sure people would prefer this option, especially for the lounge etc. I like the crate available from Denhaus:-

DenHaus | BowHaus | Designer Dog Crate Furniture

It would match my living room a treat!

I would pay up to £300 for the right item (it would have to be really special).:)

6. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

You could make that for under 59 quid! Go to your local sheet metal works armed with a photo and ask them to punch holes in a thin sheet of steel (your design to match your wallpaper if you fancy!) and 'roll' it. Then ask your timber suppliers to router grooves into the right size circles of timber (again, choose that to match your lounge) for the top and bottom - put the two together and bobs-your-uncle!!

Maybe I should start making these?!?

7. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

That is lovely, i only have one of my dogs crated, he was rescue and he had always been crated at night, If you think about how much plastic crates cost your talking around 100 for a small one so one made in wood is gonna be alot more and i rekon people would go mad for them, why not do them as made to order at first, that way you wont get stuck as the credit crunch is pretty much here to stay. Also different price tags for different types of wood too, mdf for budget range etc.

8. bichonsrus

oh wow how modern!!!!!! love both types , need carpenter and sheet metal worker lol.

9. Cuddypuppy

I wish I had the confidence to do this:blushing:. I wonder what Dragon's Den would make of it!

10. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

They'd poo poo it, just like most things! Well maybe not Theo Paphitis who took on that gorge recue dog from that TV agility reality show he did

11. Oblada

Oblada Guest

I may be on my own there but I HATE it. But then I am no fan of crate to be honest. My boy only has a canvas one for the night and it looks pretty enough for our bedroom ;)
    Also the sizing charts on that website are a bit frightening..the dog has barely the space to lift his head up and will probably struggle to turn around...no good if people are planning on closing the door on the poor thing...

I kind of understand people wanting nicer looking cages but my personal (and maybe totally unfounded) worry is that doing so will make people forget that at the end of the day they are cages - if the animal is not locked in then great but then there are loads of ways to integrate a den like thing to the surroundings - but if the animal is locked in it I think its important people realise that it may be pretty but it is still a cage..

Just my opinion though ;)

12. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

i think its a brill idea there should be more of that stuff here!! i wud defintly invest in one...but not at 250 would if were cheaper!

13. kenla210

Ok this is a very rough, very basic (cos I can't draw in Paint) version of what I was thinking of... something really simple (and similar to the US ones but cheaper and over here!)
    What do you think?

Attached Files:

14. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I would avoid using MDF because it is a fibre board made from compressed sawdust and bonded together with glue, it may be toxic and it is definately distructable when you add dog spit!! Also MDF is very heavy and relatively expensive. Pop to a local timber merchants (or BnQ) to get an idea of what types of sheet timber are available - if you wanted to paint it, would you consider plywood for eg?

The design is simple enough and you could make that with ease. Could I suggest that the ratio of slats to wood is increased though, so that the dog isn't living in so much of a cave! :D Perhaps you could incorporate slats or blinds that close when your dog is having 'secure den' time?!

Are you going to do it then??

15. kenla210

Def gonna have a chat with my cousin, who is a redundant chippie at the moment... and see about getting one made up. Once we've done it will post some pics up, and then see if anyone else is interested

Didn't think about that with the mdf, but good point. And yes was thinking lots of slats (just couldn't draw them all ;)) loving the blind idea!!:D:D

From feedback that I have seen on some (think it was the orvis) website I think a cover rather than a total crate is a better idea to prevent chewing - even Daisy who is (touch wood) an angel when it comes to chewing can't resist wood at times - figure if it is a cover then it can't be "gotten to" in the same way... tho if you have removeable door and bottom then if someone really wanted to use as actual crate then they could.

16. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Have you seen the cavas covers you can buy for crates? I have one, it's like a fitted tent - cavans panels, with mesh windows and roll down plastic covers for the mesh windows. It all zips around snuggly....

How about getting the sewing machine out and rustling up some unique ones, more basic, doesn't have to be waterproof for eg - you could sell those on ebay because p&p would be a song! Think of all the funky fabrics out there!

17. kenla210

I have seen them, they look nice. Good plan, although I'd need to learn to sew in a straight line first LOL See if I can dust off my home ec notes from way back when.
    The thing that started all this is that Daisy's crate is in the front room, next to the sofa, and covered in a blanket over the top and ends up getting used as a side table - oops! Plus we are getting another puppy soon, and the logical place to put his crate is on the other side of the sofa, and I just figured why not get something to actually make the crate functional for us as well as the dog, and hopefully look a lot better too.
    Couldn't believe there was virtually no choice in the UK and definitely nothing at the lower budget end, plus the ones that were available had loads of feedback like too small, got chewed in seconds, too dark etc etc
    Figure there must be loads of other people looking for the same sort of thing - especially when you see some of the random crap that gets sold for dogs (the amount of stuff I got sucked into as a new first time puppy owner!!)

18. kenla210

love your signature by the way :D

19. bichonsrus

Hey if you dont try you would never know!!!!!!!its worth a consideration perhaps?

20. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

id rather pay £40 for a normal crate!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice