UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a nice wide (leather preferably) collar for Luna.

I can't find anything like this where I live so I will have to buy online but I am wary of buying things over the net. It was a push for me to buy Luna's crate off Ebay!

If any of you have some links (which you trust) I would be so grateful :)

I just measured her neck and I need 20 inches and bigger :scared:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usualy use Ebay as we only have [email protected] here & they never seem to have large leather collars in stock :rolleyes: as long as the sellers feedback is round the 100% you should'nt have any problems :)
I'm looking at the top sellers but I'm still a little wary :eek: I've been scammed in the past so don't want to waste £30+ on a collar that will never arrive.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
ive bought from annrees before from her webshop and from ebay in the past and for gifts.

She handmakes the collars to your specifications so if there isnt one to suit, it may be an idea to message her.

She does padded, plain, hide, hound, and half check collars and leads. All in your measurements and your colours.

Theyre not the cheapest out there, but considering they are bespoke and excellent quality i cant reccomend them enough. I bought one of her 2in padded ones for my friends DDB (it was friends 40th but she refused any presents for herself - denial ;) )and its still going strong 4 years later!

webstore:
annrees: hand made leather dog collars, leather dog leads and dog coats

ebay store:
Ann Rees Equestrian collars leads draw reins items - Get great deals on dog collars items on eBay.co.uk Shops!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive bought from annrees before from her webshop and from ebay in the past and for gifts.

She handmakes the collars to your specifications so if there isnt one to suit, it may be an idea to message her.

She does padded, plain, hide, hound, and half check collars and leads. All in your measurements and your colours.

Theyre not the cheapest out there, but considering they are bespoke and excellent quality i cant reccomend them enough. I bought one of her 2in padded ones for my friends DDB (it was friends 40th but she refused any presents for herself - denial ;) )and its still going strong 4 years later!

webstore:
annrees: hand made leather dog collars, leather dog leads and dog coats

ebay store:
Ann Rees Equestrian collars leads draw reins items - Get great deals on dog collars items on eBay.co.uk Shops!

Thank you! That's a wonderful place to start and I love those colours :D
I don't mind how much it costs (though obviously not over £50) as I want it to last and be able to stand up against the daily wear and tear.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We have some lovely, really hardwearing leather collars - solid leather (no stitching) so they are really strong and very long lasting.

The 1 inch collars would all be suitable for a GSD (or Mastiff cross) - my large Flatcoat wears them (he has a Murphy, a Pandora and a George).

(wearing his Pandora!)

You can see how the studs go right through the leather, and the buckle is fitted using secure rivets.

If you take a look at the Leather Collars page you can see the full range. Some are just over your price max. but postage & packing is free :) (we actually have one with turquoise studs on sale for £35 at present - see pic above)

Hope you like them.

Here's the link:

Quality, hand-made designer leather dog collars | Merry Dogs

·
Registered
902 Posts
I've just this week bought a leather and suede collar from wild4pets which was £2.95 with a free lead :eek: The quality was fantastic and the delivery quick with a free dog bone chew.

This large leather collar is £2 - £3 .. postage is about £3 ish

Dog Collars - - Classic Leather Dog Collar - Tan. HALF PRICE

Quite a few other leather collars up to 23 1/2 inches as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have you got a local saddlery? Sometimes they make real leather dog leads and collars xx
What a good idea! I'd have never considered speaking to them tbh. We have loads where I live. When Monty needs a bigger collar (which will be soon, he's growing quick!), I'll pop in and ask them :)

G

·
What a good idea! I'd have never considered speaking to them tbh. We have loads where I live. When Monty needs a bigger collar (which will be soon, he's growing quick!), I'll pop in and ask them :)
I got nice leather leads in my local saddlery, a bit expensive, but very good quality and superb real leather, hand crafted, and have lasted me like forever!!! If they don't have any in stock, they can probably make one for you xxx

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Anyone looking for handmade English leather leads, TRPD have a couple for sale at the moment :

6’ 8” long x 5/8” wide, hand made, English Oak Bark tanned leather dog lead with a solid brass trigger clip and a ring on the handle for shortening to half length – suitable for a large dog. This is a naturally tanned, mellow brown, strong but extremely supple leather, with a high tallow dressing that helps to ensure it will stand up to all weathers and heavy use. (I am still using items such as stirrup leathers made from this type of leather that are nearly 40 years old, and still perfectly serviceable!)

(Minimum bid of £14.00p, please.)

31” long x 1” wide, hand made, English Oak Bark tanned leather dog lead with a solid brass trigger clip – suitable for a large dog. This is a naturally tanned, mellow brown, strong but extremely supple leather, with a high tallow dressing that helps to ensure it will stand up to all weathers and heavy use.

ALL money from these sales go into making goods for rescues. Anyone interested let me know.:thumbup:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you so much everyone!! I will reply more in depth later as I have to rush out again to get supplies for the dogs and a cat activity center for Cotton and the soon to be kittens.

But thank you! I really appreciate all your help!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've just this week bought a leather and suede collar from wild4pets which was £2.95 with a free lead :eek: The quality was fantastic and the delivery quick with a free dog bone chew.

This large leather collar is £2 - £3 .. postage is about £3 ish

Dog Collars - - Classic Leather Dog Collar - Tan. HALF PRICE

Quite a few other leather collars up to 23 1/2 inches as well.
Great price! However I am looking for a collar that is very thick (she has snapped thin collar just by stretching on the lead :eek:) and I want to spoil her so I'm looking for the 'best' :eek:

I love the Harris and Watson collars. Very very nice!!! I'm slowly making my way through the rest of the links :thumbup: Snoringbear can I ask how much you paid for a collar?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone looking for handmade English leather leads, TRPD have a couple for sale at the moment :

6' 8" long x 5/8" wide, hand made, English Oak Bark tanned leather dog lead with a solid brass trigger clip and a ring on the handle for shortening to half length - suitable for a large dog. This is a naturally tanned, mellow brown, strong but extremely supple leather, with a high tallow dressing that helps to ensure it will stand up to all weathers and heavy use. (I am still using items such as stirrup leathers made from this type of leather that are nearly 40 years old, and still perfectly serviceable!)

(Minimum bid of £14.00p, please.)

31" long x 1" wide, hand made, English Oak Bark tanned leather dog lead with a solid brass trigger clip - suitable for a large dog. This is a naturally tanned, mellow brown, strong but extremely supple leather, with a high tallow dressing that helps to ensure it will stand up to all weathers and heavy use.

ALL money from these sales go into making goods for rescues. Anyone interested let me know.:thumbup:
Hi JSR just wondering if there are any similar collars 2" wide and up?? :D

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Great price! However I am looking for a collar that is very thick (she has snapped thin collar just by stretching on the lead :eek:) and I want to spoil her so I'm looking for the 'best' :eek:

I love the Harris and Watson collars. Very very nice!!! I'm slowly making my way through the rest of the links :thumbup: Snoringbear can I ask how much you paid for a collar?
You'll probably need to sit down. Mine were pretty high spec being padded and all and bespoke handmade collars aren't cheap anyway. I got two collars with two matching leads together for £240 inc P&P. To break it down I imagine the leads were £20 each the collars £100. One is 1/2" longer than the other as they are made to the exact size of the dogs neck. I know it seems like a lot but mine go through other collars pretty quickly and I'd already seen his work at a Club Match so I new what I was getting. They are IMO incomparable to most of the pet shop collars out there in construction and quality. I had the large Hamish Mcbeth ones before (£30 each) and they just stretched the leather apart and amusingly, the morning that the collars arrived, I took one of my dogs old collars off and the prong just sheared off and dropped to the floor :rolleyes: Side by side I could see how poor my old ones were, but at about 6 months, they had outlasted one I got from [email protected] which fell apart after 6 weeks. The important thing as well is that they are very strong and can be made wide enough to give good coverage of the vertebrae. They will probably outlast the dogs, too. The cheapest one is probably the bull breed one at £55.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.