Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog coats.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SLB, Aug 18, 2013.

1. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I'm stuck. I want a nice rain proof/windproof coat that has little to no lining and that covers most of the dog (except legs).

I love the Hurtta Pro one but at £50 starting price, it'll get ridiculous with 3.
    I like the 3 peaks but in photos I've seen, it doesn't seem to cover the back end very well.

They'd only be wearing coats on lead walks in the rain and when it's dark. They won't need much lining in it as we walk quickly.

Jack is the one I'm more bothered about, he takes forever to dry and if I have to do late night dog walks, he needs to be relatively dry. Normally when they are wet they stay in the kitchen, however I cannot leave them over night in the kitchen as Jack howls and destroys the place. And they're all used to sleeping in my bedroom. Granted Jack sleeps on the floor but he's a big dog with a lot of hair and he stinks.

I have toyed with the idea of getting him an all in one suit but don't think he'd appreciate it. Lou refused to move when I got him one and Pen would eat my face if I tried to put one on her. :lol:

So guys please help! Pictures are welcome too :D

ETA: I would prefer them in their colours but would be happy if they all got black ones too.

2. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I had a nosy on eBay and found there's a few places will do raincoats for a fairly reasonable cost. Tummel doesn't need a coat but he does take forever to dry which with winter coming in and him only wanting to sleep on the couch can be an issue.

3. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

4. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

My lot have equafleeces, come in a variety of colours and are wind and waterproof.

5. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

It has lining. I just need a cagoule type coat for them, just to keep them dry, they're not too fussed about the cold and when it is really cold I have a coat for the one who does feel it.

Thank you anyway. Kate an equafleece for all of mine would cost roughly the same as the hurtta pros.

6. LurcherOwner

LurcherOwner Guest

you could get greyhound macs, they have no lining.

7. flyballcrazy

flyballcrazy PetForums Senior

I have the 3 peaks coat for Lucky my oes x it fits him a treat, covers his backend nicely :) did have to go for the next size up though, he's got the black and red one :)

Brillo my JR has the Hurtta Pro a nice coat but she does get quite warm in hers as its a bit thicker than the 3 peaks and more expensive, I'm thinking of getting rid of hers and getting her a 3 peaks one. :)

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Have a look on ebay for some similar to equafleece. As long as they are made from quality polar fleece, they will have the same properties.

Have a look at the Equi -Theme ones on ebay. (If you search "polar fleece dog coats" lots come up)

I had one of their jackets years ago and it outwore many of the more popular equine jackets!!;):D

#8 Mum2Heidi, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  9. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I don't want fleece. I just want something to keep them dry. They have natural coats to keep them warm. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions will check out 3 Peaks when I get chance to take the dogs into a store and will also have a look at greyhound macs :)

10. jesterjenn

jesterjenn PetForums Senior

11. lozzibear

lozzibear PetForums VIP

I have order a couple for my two (two each :eek:).

The first ones I don't think will be suitable for Arrow, but I will wait and see how much it is lined. They were on ebay, new and sold together. Jake is a size smaller than Arrow, and it just so happens that the smaller one is blue tartan (blue is Jake's colour) and the larger one is red tartan (which is Arrow's colour). I really hope that they aren't too heavy because they will look so smart matching :eek: :D Jake needs a bit of extra warmth though because he is shorter coated, and he can only walk because of his operation so as it starts to get cold he will need a coat. Usually he keeps warm through running - but that isn't an option just now.

The other one I have ordered for Arrow is this one - Ancol Muddy Paws All Weather Timberwolf Extreme Wax Dog Coat | Dog Clothing | PetCrazy.co.uk. It says it has a cotton lining, but I got it used on ebay for £1.84 (plus a couple pound postage) so I don't mind paying that just to see how light it is. I found it hard to find one with no lining whatsoever and this one seemed pretty good.

The other one I have ordered for Jake is this one - Danish Design Pet Products The Ultimate 2-in-1 Dog Coat » Danish Design Pet Products. The fleece part will be great for him in the winter, but it will also be a good coat for in summer because it says it is just a 'light raincoat' when the fleece is removed. I am going to wait until Jake's arrives so I can see just how light it is, and if it is then I will be getting one for Arrow too :D although, I doubt he will ever use the fleece, it will still be good to have it there and I like them matching :eek:

I have found it difficult with Arrow because I don't want one that provides him with any warmth, and I think (and hope) that the Danish Designs one will fit the bill :) I love the Hurtta ones, but the price... no way... just now going there :D especially for how little I will use them (well, how little Arrow's will be used).

12. jesterjenn

jesterjenn PetForums Senior

I got one of these to begin with for Jess, and the sizes are MASSIVE!!! I also didn't find them very thin, so I sold it on. Very well constructed though!

13. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I have both a Muddy Paws and an Danish Design. I don't like either. :eek:

14. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

I found JJ a Hurtta for £42 on ebay cheapest I've seen them and they had the raincoats and different colours.

15. LurcherOwner

LurcherOwner Guest

Righto make a list of the things you DO want and you DON'T want in a coat.

And list things that you have already tried/don't like. Makes it so much easier for suggesting really. :lol:

16. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

17. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Made the mistake (or was it) of telling my OH about the Hurtta Pro ones. I did send him the link to other coats I liked. But he's also set on the Hurtta Pro. So looks like we're getting those.

Any Idea how to measure for them? The sites measurement guides are confusing.

18. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Duke has quite a few dog coats.

He has: -

a hi viz raincoat jacket - (ideal for wet summer evenings).

two double layered polo neck jumpers (ideal for cold but dry Autumn evenings)

a smart thick lined raincoat type jacket (ideal for cold winter evenings)

two really thick imitation sheepskin flying jackets (ideal for those bitter cold winter evenings).

All his coats fit him lovely, I measure him from the back of his neck to the base of his tail 18" I buy 20" length which really fit him well, plus the 20" gives more room round his chest.

I don't pay a lot for his coats they have all been around £20.00. His jumpers were £22.00 from a dog grooming salon and his thick winter coats were £18.00 from Pets at Home. I can't remember how much his hi viz was.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice