UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its getting to that time of year again when Piper will need a coat. We have one at the moment, but I like to have a back up (and to spoil her).

I am limited with what I am allowed to put on her (hubby walks her right now as well due to my SPD so fair enough) - it needs to look like a proper coat and she can't look "girly"! :D

The one coat we have looks a bit like a barbour jacket. Its is unfortunately more for the way it looks rather than warmth (it is warm though) but this is down to the problem I am finding - her size.

Being a lovely little mongrel (terrier cross) I am finding the coats in the shop dont fit her. The 16" coats don't cover all her back (I think she may be 18/19" from neck to base of tail) whilst all the others seem to be 22" - there's no in-between (unless I am looking in the wrong places). She is about 24" round the chest. She is quite stocky for her size - think JR head, Parsons JR legs and Corgi body and ears!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hardy coat? She is quite short haired so does feel the cold, but when it snows she loves it - especially when its icy as she will run and slide on the ice, usually ending up on her back - which is "great fun" (did i mention she's nuts??).

So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

G

·
Kenzie's a funny size too :rolleyes:

I've had a few Masta coats and they've been great, they do lots of sizes. More recently I got her an Equafleece and LOVE it. They're not the cheapest, but great quality and they are completely waterproof - Kenzie has been in hers when it's been chucking it down and she's stayed dry underneath :)

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kenzie's a funny size too :rolleyes:

I've had a few Masta coats and they've been great, they do lots of sizes. More recently I got her an Equafleece and LOVE it. They're not the cheapest, but great quality and they are completely waterproof - Kenzie has been in hers when it's been chucking it down and she's stayed dry underneath :)
Thanks, will look them up. I must admit when we first got her, price would have been an issue (cos I am a cheapskate) but knowing how much the cold affects her, but how much she loves being out in the snow, price is no longer an issue!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Outhwaites coats are fantastic.
Waterproof technical fabric, can be machine washed, last for years.
Practical and also available in a wide variety of colours. (black, dark green, red, purple, lilac, pink!)
Padded or furry lined (or unpadded for warm dogs!)
You can find them on my website and as with all the things i stock, i stock them because of the quality etc, i don't promote them because i stock them!
They are sized by back length every 2" and have adjustable velcro straps and back leg loops.

If the prices seem a bit odd its cos i price match on amazon!

Jessy

·
Banned
12,275 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would recommend Equafleece jumper for warmth on a cold day and with maybe a bit of light rain, but I like the equafleece best when the dog has been walked as it helps keep them warm whilst wicking away moisture.
If you need warmth and waterproof then I'd recommend either the ruffwear cloud chaser or the Hurtta pro waterproof fleece jacket (both worn like a jumper). These are expensive but I like them best for my cocker spaniels and I have a whole pile of tried and discarded dog jackets.:eek:

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Dans first coat was a Danish Design coat and it was great, he was very snug and waterproof in it, only £10 at my local petshop too!!!

Now he has an ancol one and it does the job but i don't like it as much as the DD coat, i only bought it as i needed one quickly(was only £14 as well)...apparently Dan doesn't do cold weather :rolleyes:

I'm looking at getting a wax jacket for Tummel, his double coat keeps him perfectly warm but he takes ages to dry after walking in the rain!!!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Both of my 2 have this one from zooplus and i love it,

Dog Coat Grizzly II at zooplus

grizz has had it for about 2 years, is warm without being too thick covers the tummy and doesnt have velcro that can wear out. He has a hurtta one as well and this is just as good.

Perfect for odd sizes we have struggled with zelda who has a deep chest but a tiny neck and it fits her great.

·
Registered
358 Posts
2 in 1 Dog Coat From Danish Design

I'm about to buy one of these, i saw one in the pet shop today and they are nice and thick and you can remove the fleece for a thin jacket if needed. They also have a slit in the back so you can have a harness under it which was important to me.

If i could possibly jump on your thread and ask does anyone know how to properly measure for the coat. I'm not sure if she needs 12" or 14" i don't want to get too small and she is still a puppy and i want it to last as long as possible. I have read online i should be measuring from the nape of the neck to the base of the tail. I had been measuring from her collar but is the nape of the neck higher up? at the bottom of her skull? or am i wrong?

·
Registered
913 Posts
These OBTRACK™ - Award winning Dog Coats are great. Waterproof, breathable, 4-way stratch and come in 17 sizes. There are also built-in adjusters to get a perfect fit. Ziggy has had hers about 7 years now, it still keeps her warm and dry - and apart from a few snagged threads, it looks as good as new too.
I also have obtrack coats for my 4 and I rate them highly but I still prefer the ruffwear cloud chaser as it fits like a jumper which seems a better fit for hairy cockers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.