Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog clicker

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by luckyboy2008, Feb 13, 2008.

1. luckyboy2008

luckyboy2008 PetForums Newbie

ok i have never used one of these click system training has anyone used one and to what success

2. swinnk8

swinnk8 PetForums Junior

Dog clickers are good if you know how to use them.
    It is used as praise for good behaviour.
    It is a case of praising the good and ignoring the bad behaviour.
    when starting to use it the clicker is used for instance, if you dog is told to sit and sits immediately, this is instantly followed by a click and a treat.
    It works in some situations but not others.
    If you are having problems with your dog that is getting out of hand you are best to go to a qualified, certified dog behaviourist for a dog assessment. From this you will be told the best action to take and will be guided properly.
    I have used clickers on our pet dogs, but they are not totally out of control, and it has worked sucessfully and i have the dogs full attention when out walking.

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Clicker is used to mark correct behaviour, it must be then followed by a reward, food or play, usually food in the initial stages of training.
    It can be a valuable training aid, if used correctly, there are lots of sites on the internet about using clicker or operant conditioning, have a look round.

4. RachaelKeisha

RachaelKeisha PetForums Newbie

its all about timing with clicker training. What sort of training are you hopin to achive, basic sit stay etc or to stop your dogs unwanted behaviour?

5. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

I use clicker training for our dogs occasionally. I find it very helpfull with the gundogs for teaching a certain behaviour. Ive also used it to teach my new pup buddy (jack russell) tricks! We have only had him two weeks today and we have taught him sit, down, roll over , this paw, that paw and spin.

I start by doing a couple of click then reward sessions of maybe 10-15 treats.

I then use the treat to lure them into the desired move (ie sit) as soon as their bum hits the ground i click/treat , i keep doing this for a few sessions. I usually do 3 - 4 sessions a day each lasting a few minutes. In the end you find the dog will offer the desired behaviour of his own accord, to which i would click/treat. Once the dog knows what is expected i add a verbal command (ie sit) until the dog does it only for the command (ie it is not rewarded unless i have asked for the behaviour). Once i know they fully know the verbal command i only treat say - every third command, which makes them work harder for the treat.

I find it great fun as do the dogs.

Treats - i tend to use either pieces of cheese, puppy kibble or cereal (buddy loves cheerios!!). Just basically anything that the dog can eat quickly and also doesnt fill them up too quickly.

Another thing...timing is essential with the clicker and it must be clicked at the correct time, bang on the point that the dog does exactly as desired.

Dog tricks by Mary Ray is a fab book. I got my interest in clicker training from it :D

HTH Ang x

6. Tweedle Dee

7. luckyboy2008

luckyboy2008 PetForums Newbie

hi i havent used it as yet but was looking to as a training aid for basic sit stay leave ectand was thinking for toilet training ie when it wees on paper but dont know if this would work as you said it had to be instant click

8. Tweedle Dee

You can use it for toilet training, i click when they go outside and toilet. I have'nt used it for inside as i have never paper trained any of our pup's, i personally feel it is training them to pee in the house, then you've got to go train them to go outside...defo quicker to teach them to go outside in the first place :D)

But yes you can defo use the clicker for all the things you wish to teach.You basically click any positive/desired behaviour, also click a step in the right direction (for instance if you were teaching roll over, click first the lie down, then a lie to the side, then eventually a full roll if you get what i mean?) You can use the treat as a lure to get the action - for instance the 'sit', just never physically force the behaviour, it has to be offered by your dog.

It never fails to amaze me how quick they learn, even a very young puppy.

HTH Ang

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice