UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two beautiful Bichons, they are my little angels (except when they're not!)

I am trying to launch my own business which aims to produce quality gifts for your dogs at an affordable price.

I'd love it if you took a look.

Please, only constructive feedback and no nastiness.

Dog Christmas Stocking Alternative: Novelty Gift Box | eBay

Helena (Owner of HellysHounds)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have just checked your site.

I would have thought it would be a good idea to put photos of the items that are in the box.

If I was buying your product I would like to see what is in your box.

You state that all products are sourced from British companies but you don't state if the products have been produced in Britain and if they are natural products.

What I have mentioned are all things I would look for if buying something like your items for Christmas.

Good luck with your business.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I found pics underneath just click to enlarge. Think it's a good selection though I know a lot of people are iffy about dog chews now ( including me). I have had one of those balls for ages and they are great. Good idea but I would probably make one myself if I'm honest.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
I found pics underneath just click to enlarge. Think it's a good selection though I know a lot of people are iffy about dog chews now ( including me). I have had one of those balls for ages and they are great. Good idea but I would probably make one myself if I'm honest.
Yeah, have to agree with this. I wouldn't want those squeakers as they look like they'd be ripped to shreds, would be nice if you could pick and mix your own box for that price so it's more tailored to your dog (some like rope, some like squakers, some dont like balls etc).

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I think I agree with others, there nothing really in there that people couldnt find themselves, and much cheaper.
The toys look like the type you would get at a cheap pet shop for £1??

Sorry, but it wouldnt be for me.

But good luck with your business. :)

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Both my dogs have stockings, so I just fill them with individual things that they like. Maybe you could do a bespoke service i.e choose 5 items from a selection and then they come gift wrapped.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I think the British sourced bit needs clarifying if this is one of your main selling points, I think everything can be bought from British retailers but that doesn't mean it's been made here.

The quality of the toys doesn't look that good, they look like B&M or Poundland squeekers.

I really do hope you do well and I'm sure they'll suit and appeal to some people but if I had £14 laid around to buy dog pressies I'd rather go out and buy them a decent quality toy each or a stag bar, something that would last a bit longer.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I would get them in place of doggy stockings for friends and families dog, but my own dog is not really interested in those kind of toys.

I've already got all the dog's presents though this year, but it's a good idea for a stocking filler.

I agree about the mix and match idea. For example one friend has an hearing dog and they aren't allowed to have toys with squeakers in as they are used in the dogs training, so I always have to try and find her a stocking with a rope ball or make her up a seperate little doggy bag with treats appropriate for her size (as she's only small breed, every one else's are medium/large) and a small non squeaky toy.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I think it's a nice idea, but needs tarting up a bit. Make the box a bit more Christmasy. Maybe home made treats instead of the cheap chews... I agree with the others that it is something that can be done yourself for cheaper but if you can offer something different in there it'd be much much better.

I'm afraid there is alot of competition with stuff like this, and there are alot of people (some are even members on this forum) who make lovely handmade personalised gifts for dogs which are really popular. I think it needs to be more personalised and something that can't be found elsewhere or put together yourself. Maybe make it so the box say's "Rufus's Christmas Box" or something.. Just little things that make it different to other things that you can buy in the shops.

Also... ebay feedback. You don't have any at the moment. I think you're going to struggle with that. When I didn't have much feedback I hardly got any sales.. I have now managed to boost my feedback by using ebay to buy things. People saw I had feedback and in turn were more confident buying from me and now I have lots of seller feedback too. Honestly, I don't think it'll work on Ebay. It's a tough nut to crack and has taken me a long long time to get it right. You might be better going to markets and car boots. People will be going there to buy treats for their dogs anyway and your boxes might catch people's eyes if they're tarted up and personalised a bit in a Christmas way.

Good luck with it though.. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hello everyone.

thank you, you have all been very constructive in your feedback.

in response to several people saying the toys are too expensive, I have changed the pricing. the boxes have been very expensive for me to produce, so in order to make some kind of profit I have to raise it a little.

the homemade treats was an idea I had, but I couldn't do it due to regulations. all my kitchen and utensils and everything would have to be checked out by a certified animal health and safety professional - a bit over the top, but I don't want a law suit for Christmas :001_unsure:

The feedback thing is an issue, yes.

luckily, I have had over 300 views now and 2 people are watching.

I have bought many squeakers and regardless of how much I spend on them, they're never there for ages. the gingerbread rope toy is good though and I have spent ages sourcing the products so that I could buy wholesale and create 24 starting boxes.

thank you everyone :)

I think I agree with others, there nothing really in there that people couldnt find themselves, and much cheaper.
The toys look like the type you would get at a cheap pet shop for £1??

Sorry, but it wouldnt be for me.

But good luck with your business. :)

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Yeah, have to agree with this. I wouldn't want those squeakers as they look like they'd be ripped to shreds, would be nice if you could pick and mix your own box for that price so it's more tailored to your dog (some like rope, some like squakers, some dont like balls etc).
Yeah, same here. I often avoid these sorts of things just as its the same stuff all the time IYKWIM? Those toys are no good for Piper, she has no interest in them.

If I were spending that sort of money, I would rather it were for something that contained one or two 'decent' toys (something fluffy - she's a terrier, or one of the honking pigs which are GREAT fun to destroy) and one or two natural/home-made style treats, rather than rawhide.

But I am quite fussy with what Piper gets, and she refuses things such as munch sticks and pigs ears (I know you dont have these in your boxes), but loves things such as cows ears and hoofs, which I think are possibly better than some of the raw hide things and just as cheap?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
in response to several people saying the toys are too expensive, I have changed the pricing. the boxes have been very expensive for me to produce, so in order to make some kind of profit I have to raise it a little.
I've also found that packaging is extremely expensive if you don't buy in bulk... how many boxes have you bought and where from? If you buy a few from places like Staples they're going to cost £1-2 each which is crazy and will eat away at your profit very quickly.. I buy packs of 100 boxes (same size by the looks of it) off Ebay and they work out at 19p per box. They're brown boxes, but if you gift wrap them with some cheap paper they'd be even better than your white ones.. (you can also buy them in smaller numbers.. not quite so much of a saving, but still a heck of alot cheaper than retail shops) :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I would make it more christmassy, I really like the treats as they look like cinnamon sticks and the gingerbread man is really cute but the other two would put me off as they aren't very Christmassy I spoil my pets with toys all year round so the thing I look for as Christmas presents has to be really Christmassy. Another thing is perhaps do a puppy's first christmas box with puppy toys im hopefully getting a pup next week and so she'll be spending her first christmas with me and i would definately consider something like that, perhaps do a box for big dogs aswell, another thing is i used to have a dog that loved tearing through the wrapping paper, so you could consider dog friendly wrapping each item. Also you could personalise the box if you're just printing the tag from your comp you could print ones with peoples specific dog names I.e merry Christmas Fido. Daisy's first Christmas. I agree with the pick and mix idea aswell, i had a dog that hated squeaky toys but went mad on rope toys. It's a nice idea though :) I hope you do well in your business:D

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
If not possible to personalise and give a choice to each customer would it not be an idea to make a treat based box and ball/rope and a squeaker based box.
Also have you thought of size/weight appropriate gifts ,, ie whats perfect for a yorkie would be downright dangerous for a GSD or a Dane..

Ive ordered two of Tillymints fabulous collars for my two and Im getting them a giggle treat ball...Something I couldnt have with Oscar around as the giggles drove him insane but Im hoping it will intrigue Remy and get Benny interested because of the treats! Most of all Im hoping it will get them playing together..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.