Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Choking

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by pandawolf, Apr 13, 2011.

1. pandawolf

pandawolf PetForums Member

About a month ago my dog bolted her food and began choking, she was foaming at the mouth. After opening her mouth and scooping all the food out her mouth and quite alot that was stuck down her throat I mentioned it to my vet who said if it happened again they may have to see if there is a medical reason why it has happened.

I have just fed her tonight and the same thing happened.

She is fed Dry food, and although she eats fairly quick I have dogs eat alot faster than her.

I am going to get her a special bowl meant to slow her eating down.

Looks like it is back to the vets. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and know if it is something medical what it might be thats wrong.

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Sorry no experience and not a vet so no real advice, but if you can tell us what breed/type she is and age that might help :)

*Hugs*

3. pandawolf

She is an eleven year old Siberian Husky

4. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

5. pandawolf

I think the vet mentioned something about her soft palate

6. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

ive never heard of soft palate. but i have never had a dog that chokes on there food. i hope you can get it all sorted :D

7. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

This must distressing for you when she does this:(

Maybe give her very small amounts over a period of an hour or add some warm water to soften it in small amounts.

I have one of mine that eats very quickly but she has wet food mixed with it so makes it easier to swallow and I also put 2 lge desert spoons in her bowl to slow her down slightly ;)

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Oh dear, how awful for you both.

I was going to suggest adding some water to the kibble too. May be let it stand for a while so it absorbs the water and becomes soft?:D

9. Paddy Paws

Paddy Paws PetForums Member

There could be issues with her soft palate but slowing down her eating will help. I would suggest that you feed her moistened or even sloppy food and feed her from a raised bowl (or pop her bowl on a step or stool)

10. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Yes I was thinking the same - soften the kibble with water, feed at shoulder height and split the meals up so that she is not too hungry and gulping her food down.

Probably worth a try. Good luck.:smile:

11. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I notice in a later post you also mention that she is now 11yrs old, if this is a sudden problem that has never happened before apart from these two recent incidencies, even though there has been a gap between them, to play safe if she was mine, I would ask the vets to do more checks. When they get to this sort of age, and suddenly develope problems that has never happened before, personally I dont think there is such a thing as being over cautious tbh. Ive had 3 now that have got to 14 and the current ones 13, Ive found them to be really stoic and not even given any indication of problems in the past. As mine get older now for that reason, I never leave anything to chance in later years.

12. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Owning Labs, I am well versed with fast eaters and the potential for choking (and yes, had a few 'hiccups' - but nothing like this).

There are things thatcan bedone to slow down eating - special bowls - putting a carrot in the middle of the food - and I always put water on all my dogs food (not soak it - but cold water over it just as I give it to them).

Having said all that - bearing in mind her age, and the fact that this is a new thing which wasn't happening before, all my instincts would be saying I would like the vet to take a closer look at her - sorry.

Hope everything is OK

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice