Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog caught cat in garden

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rg-owner, Jun 24, 2018.

1. rg-owner

rg-owner PetForums Newbie

not sure if right forum.

Our 2 retired greyhounds caught a cat in our back garden a few days ago @ roughly 0530, took it to PDSA later in the day to see if chipped but no luck. Think the owner is our next door neighbour (we havent talked to them anything longer than a couple of words). Im not certain as there are a lot of similar cats in the area but should we try and broach the subject? And if yes how?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Did your dogs kill the cat?

3. Tucson

Tucson PetForums Junior

^^^^^ exactly did the cat survive, where is it now?

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If the cat died and you have had it scanned, then you really have no responsibility.

If you believe it belonged to your neighbour, then whether you speak to them or not is up to you. If it was theirs and they're missing it, then it would be kind to let them know.

Lurcherlad and Firedog like this.
  5. kare

kare PetForums VIP

I think getting it scanned was the end of responsibility. If you see an signs or posts for lost cat then by all means ring and give them closure.

However I doubt the news would be taken kindly. I have never witnessed any cat owner ever blame their cat getting killed on their own choice to open their door and allow them to wander on the road or in the private property of others. It is always seen as the fault the car driver or in this case the dogs/owner.

In short. The benefits of semi wild status like having no responsibly for faeces left in peoples gardens has the side effect that the killing of one is not reportable...but would be a kindness but I personally would phone anonymously. Give no details (ie violent death) just that a cat matching that description passed away and has been treated with respect and buried.

DaisyBluebell, VickynHolly and havoc like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don’t think there is any blame to apportion to anybody tbh

I would feel better letting the owner know somehow, but I’d be careful about identifying yourself or your dogs’ involvement in case they don’t react reasonably to the news.

Maybe an anonymous note on a nearby lamppost saying “a cat of such and such description was picked up injured and passed away. Despite being scanned for a chip none was found so the owner could not be identified, sadly.”

DaisyBluebell, lorilu and Cleo38 like this.
  7. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

What would you want your neighbour to do if the situation were reversed? That is a good indication of what to do in any situation not just this one

8. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I would not mention it was attacked by your dogs, just that you found an injured cat and took it to a vet.

You never know how people will react to you or your dogs if they start to blame you for the incident.

Burrowzig, planete and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice