Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog cages

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by davlane, Apr 1, 2011.

1. davlane

davlane PetForums Newbie

i have beagle dog 7mths, only goes in cage to sleep nights only, what size cage do u all think best,i av been told they do not like to feel lost in large cage new to breed tks

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would rekon a 36 or 40" crate.
    But if you have a pets at home near you, you can try him for size in the crates and see which size looks like he fits best (he needs to be able to stand up and turn around easily) then go and buy it somewhere cheaper :lol:
    I got most of my crates off ebay for a fraction of the price they are in there.

3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

My golden retriever is in a 42 inch so I would think a size down from that, 36ish?

4. Chrissysarah

Chrissysarah PetForums Junior

I decided my size for my springer spaniel by googling it :) But I also have had advice from friends. I was going to get a smaller cage but decided to get one with a divider This means its full size in total but she could have the smaller size while she gets used to it. I actually found the divider for Lily a waste of money as now she is trained and doesnt use the crate to wee in at all ( sleeps ten till seven ish) she loves the big crate to lie in, chill in during day and sleep at night. But she has a teddy.
    I suppose it depends on how secure your dog needs to be, they are meant to have enough room to turn round in and stand up in. I also suppose it depends on how many crates you want to have to buy. I am lucky and now have the only size i will ever need.
    For travelling i bought the tesco large canvas travel pen. She sleeps in that when I go visit my friends overnight too x
    GOod luck xx
    Chrissy x

5. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

when my beagles were only using their crates at night, they just had a 30" (i think). it gave them enough room to stand up, turn around etc. but really they were only sleeping in it.

when i used crates through the day (i dont now), they were in 42" or 48" cage(i cant remembner now). easily large labrador/gsd size. coz i wanted enough room to let him play.

(im saying they, but i mean just one at a time lol)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice