Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Breeds Wiki

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by caughtfromabove@gmail.com, Jul 9, 2009.

1. caughtfromabove@gmail.com

caughtfromabove@gmail.com PetForums Newbie

Hi, I m trying to make a usefull site and very easy to use with the most importante details about most dog breeds! I would like to know what you think about it (even if you didnt like!) and your sugestions to improve it!

Dog Breeds Wiki

Thanks for you help and sry for the spam!

bomb likes this.
  2. plymgary

plymgary PetForums Newbie

Are you sure this hasn't already been done? And, if so, is there something other sites are doing that you could improve on?

Good idea though. The homepage could do with being a bit more colourful and would look good with some actual dog photos. I use istockphoto for the images on my site and they're royalty free (and, cheap as chips to buy). Check it out!

The photos in the breeds load too slowly. Could you perhaps have seperate pages for breeds beginning with A,B,C etc? Also, have you optomised the images? Google 'image optomization' if you haveb't. They'll load faster then!

Having google ads in the middle of pages doesn't look good. I would stick to just having them at the top.

I'd get rid of the 'content' header. Put the writing into the 'contacts' bit instead.

I think hints of red would look nice on the homepage. Don't overdo it though.

One more thing...is wiki a trademark? I might be wrong but it would be worth checking it out if you haven't already.

Hope some of that helps.

Gary

bomb likes this.
  3. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

In all honesty, I think you have missed the boat on "made for adsense sites" i.e. a website made purely to get income from visitors clicking on adverts provided by Google.

On most of your pages, like this for example - Dog Breeds Wiki , I see 2 problems.

1) The text is copied and pasted directly from wikipedia. Google will index your site and simply "sandbox it" due to a duplicate content penalty. This means that you will get very few visitors unless you try other methods such as linking from forums etc.
    2) Google adsense terms and conditions state "no more than 3 advert placements on a single page", yet you have four. If google become aware of this, your adsense publisher rights will be removed (forever usually) which completely defeats your original purpose.

Why not try removing the mediawiki installation and replacing it with a Wordpress installation? Start writing a blog about life with your dogs, or review dog food or something? If the content is original, your readers and Google are more likely to bookmark the site and value it higher.

A slow burn I know, but since the recession there is no easy way to make a quick buck unfortunately.

Sorry.

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Nice idea :)

I've had a look at your GSD page. It needs a lot more info. Also, they come in more colours than just Black/Gray/Gold/White.

And I agree with the above posts. You've just copy pasted from wikipedia. What's different about your site that I can't find by just searching wikipedia?

You haven't touched on health problems or anything. GSDs are reknown for hip/elbow dysplasia.

bomb likes this.
  5. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

I think it looks pretty good, great work :) x

bomb likes this.
  6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. I think it is a great idea and I love being able to read up on different dogs.

why is there nothing about rescue dogs? How about links to rescue organisation i.e Dogs Trust, RSPCA, Battersea Dogs Home etc

If you are going to do something like this, why not also include some practical advice on managing your dog? The amount of people who come on the forum because their dogs have behavioural issues and it is nearly always down to lack of leadership and knowledge. Just a point........

One other thing, the recommended exercise per day for a husky is 60 mins. I was under the impression they needed far more than that?

Good work though, but I would love to see more about rescue dogs!
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice