UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so when we do get a dog in around a year, i want one that'll obviously be good with my kids, They will be 5 and 3 in a years time. i am considering re-homing, but still need to know which breeds are best, and obviously with a rehomed dog i will not know much about background etc

G

·
There are hundreds of Staffords in rescue at the moment,as a breed they are really good with kids and are a super family dog :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would also consider what you as a family have to offer to the dog so that you can match up the perfect breed to your lifestyle and surroundings.

Then once you know the breed your after search for breed rescue site particular to that breed.

apart from the obvious choice of has to be good with children
how much time will your set aside for exercise/training/grooming

this varies greatly from breed to breed.

G

·
There are hundreds of Staffords in rescue at the moment,as a breed they are really good with kids and are a super family dog :)
Agreed. Ignore the media hype and rubbish people think they know about staff's, they are lovely kind "people" dogs

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you have the room get a dobie! They are excellent family dogs :) (and guard dogs as it comes natrally to them!;)) Both mine have grown up with my 3 year old daughter and love her like one of their own! They don't need much grooming either, I brush them twice a week.They eat alot mind! They go through a 15kg bag of food in 2 weeks! xx

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
German Shepherds, I have had 2 and they have both been unbelievable with my children and children in general.

·
Banned
8,756 Posts
If you have the room get a dobie! They are excellent family dogs :) (and guard dogs as it comes natrally to them!;)) Both mine have grown up with my 3 year old daughter and love her like one of their own! They don't need much grooming either, I brush them twice a week.They eat alot mind! They go through a 15kg bag of food in 2 weeks! xx
Got to agree :D My Dobie is so soft he will let my three (who are 10, 6 and 4) do anything to him, including my daughter gressing him up in a fairy outfit, including the glitter hair gel!!:yikes: he loved it and absolutly pranced about to show everyone!!

and as said before staffies are fantastic with kids.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Golden Retriever! Big cuddly teddy bears. Lovely with children.:thumbsup:
i have been thinking about a golden retriever, i think they are gorgeous, but know nothing about them atm.

I am at home 24/7 its just my husband that works full time.

I go for alot of walks without a dog so i'm sure it'd get plenty of exercise.

Lilys mum, any info on the breed is greatly appreciated xxx

G

·
I agree with Rach.

I have a 5 & 3 year old and we got a cocker spaniel because they are good with children however i think if you have children of that age it is more about the specific temperament of the individual dog.

It has been REALLY hard work and the children are more of a problem than the dog so really the question is are your children good with the dog rather than is the dog good with children.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I agree with Rach.

I have a 5 & 3 year old and we got a cocker spaniel because they are good with children however i think if you have children of that age it is more about the specific temperament of the individual dog.

It has been REALLY hard work and the children are more of a problem than the dog so really the question is are your children good with the dog rather than is the dog good with children.

:thumbsup:
Totally agree with rainy, I'd get the kids used to dogs first if poss. Grandmonster has this nack of upsetting all training done with Arnie, as he's a bouncy thing, however with friends two staffies (both rescue) shes different, poss because rosie and millie arnt quite as daft as mine.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would recommend a Cavalier to any family, big enough to join in all family activities, enjoys short school runs an also all day in the countryside if taking him/her
Are as soft as lights, training is relatively easy though can be a bit lazy.
Easy to groom, bath etc.
Small enough to curl up on your lap. An just a perfect family dog in my eyes :thumbsup:

Do get from health tested parents if you decide on this breed, as they can have many health problems.

A few very good breeders on here who seem to be doing everything to help the breed :thumbsup:

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
i have been thinking about a golden retriever, i think they are gorgeous, but know nothing about them atm.

I am at home 24/7 its just my husband that works full time.

I go for alot of walks without a dog so i'm sure it'd get plenty of exercise.

Lilys mum, any info on the breed is greatly appreciated xxx
I have young children and also foster so for me temperament came first. After doing some research I narrowed my choice down to a yellow lab or a golden retreiver.

I found out which health tests each breed required and also made sure that I picked a breeder that did all necessary health tests and had dogs with good temperaments. (some Goldens thanks to bad breeding and puppy farmers can be aggressive :mad:).

Anyhow I came across the breeder of Lily and went to meet her. As soon as I saw her dogs- healthy, happy, well behaved and above all had the loveliest temperament - just what I was looking for.

Lily has been fantastic - hard work - ie lots of play biting, and madness lol However she is fairly well trained (still on going), is a lot calmer at 1 (by 2 I reckon she is gonna be even more amazing) and is absolutely brilliant with the children. The baby pulls her fur and ears, Lily does not bat an eye lid. Also she allows baby to take toys from her - infact Lily will go to the baby with toy to play a gentle tug of war !!!

My older two - 2 and 4 - get Lily to follow them. they play fetch in the garden, dig together and also Lily allows them, in safe areas to walk her on the lead lol

SHe is a fab dog -you won't go wrong but do your research and be prepared for initial hard work. (remember the more you put in to start, the more you will get out later).

Also GOldens do like their exercise, and need regular brushing.

Any more advise please shout!

Regards

pennyxxx

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Ok so when we do get a dog in around a year, i want one that'll obviously be good with my kids, They will be 5 and 3 in a years time. i am considering re-homing, but still need to know which breeds are best, and obviously with a rehomed dog i will not know much about background etc
Well i will say Collies my 2 love kids!..:D

You should have just kept scooby your little chihuahua..:( how is he? is the lady that got him from here still got him do you keep in contact with her?..:)

G

·
Well i will say Collies my 2 love kids!..:D

You should have just kept scooby your little chihuahua..:( how is he? is the lady that got him from here still got him do you keep in contact with her?..:)
Aw sad. Why did Scooby have to go? :(

Just checked back but couldn't see what the reason was for re homing him.

:confused:

If there was issues it might help us to know what they were so we can advise around them :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.