UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've always been a cat owner and have had rabbits for the last 2 years but have never had a dog (Mum's scared of them...). However, I have decided that at some point, a dog would be a lovely addition to my furry family :)

I'm not one to go into things on a whim and I like to do lots of research first, so was wondering if anyone could recommend any dog care books? By that I mean books relating to everything to do with dogs- breeds, training, general care, illnesses etc.

Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
I only read few books the ones i liked where
Perfect puppy by Gwen Bailey it has a lot of information with training and carring for your dog (its good not only for puppy owners)
And dont shoot the dog -helped me also with my child lol ;-)
I also own dog bible by Kristin Mehus-Roe i refer to it a lot -there are qute few info on breeds , health etc
All of the including dog bible i got from amazon (second hand ;-))

·
Super Moderator
29,624 Posts
In addition to the above-

The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson,

On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas,

Inside of a Dog (can't remember who it's by)

In Defence of Dogs by John Bradshaw,

Life Skills for Puppies (can't remember who that's by either)

Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior & Evolution by Ray & Lorna Coppinger

The Domestic Dog: Its Evolution, Behavior & Interactions with People, ed: James Serpell

Karen Pryor's clicker training books

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
In addition to the above-

The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson,

On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas,

Inside of a Dog (can't remember who it's by)

In Defence of Dogs by John Bradshaw,

Life Skills for Puppies (can't remember who that's by either)

Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior & Evolution by Ray & Lorna Coppinger

The Domestic Dog: Its Evolution, Behavior & Interactions with People, ed: James Serpell

Karen Pryor's clicker training books
These^^^^ plus I have a zillion more but they are a starter for ten!! Life Skills For Puppies I really like - it's by Helen Zulch and Daniel Mills.

·
Super Moderator
29,624 Posts
These^^^^ plus I have a zillion more but they are a starter for ten!! Life Skills For Puppies I really like - it's by Helen Zulch and Daniel Mills.
So have I:eek: it's just unearthing them from my army of books (I will miss being able to use the excuse 'oh, but it's for college work' for buying books on animals)

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can never have too many animal books- I have all of the Vicky Hall cat books, indoor cat books, cat quote books and a cat encyclopedia.

I also have the 'Stories Rabbits Tell' book, which is well worth a read (it's about the cultural significance of rabbits :eek:), as well as rabbit care books and I'm getting myself the Rabbitlopedia as I clearly need to know more :p

Now, I'll be stocking up on lots of dog books, too. I find it really pays to do your research, I wish more people would before getting pets :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
29,624 Posts
You can never have too many animal books- I have all of the Vicky Hall cat books, indoor cat books, cat quote books and a cat encyclopedia.

I also have the 'Stories Rabbits Tell' book, which is well worth a read (it's about the cultural significance of rabbits :eek:), as well as rabbit care books and I'm getting myself the Rabbitlopedia as I clearly need to know more :p

Now, I'll be stocking up on lots of dog books, too. I find it really pays to do your research, I wish more people would before getting pets :rolleyes:
I need to invest in more cat & rabbit books, almost all of mine are well out of date (as in, books bought for me as a child!). I love anthrozoology type books & books on animals in history, legend & folklore as well

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I need to invest in more cat & rabbit books, almost all of mine are well out of date (as in, books bought for me as a child!). I love anthrozoology type books & books on animals in history, legend & folklore as well
If you like history and folklore, this rabbit book is very much recommended:
Amazon.co.uk: stories rabbits tell

It's so interesting, and looks at how they're depicted in literature, paintings, modern culture etc.

Yes, I am a big geek! :D

·
Super Moderator
29,624 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.