Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Dog boarding with a cat?

Discussion in 'Dog Boarding' started by Denise17, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Denise17

Denise17 PetForums Newbie

Hello, does anyone have any experience/ advice of boarding a dog whilst owning a cat? When I was dog walking I used to bring dogs to my house for a couple of hours and most would either want to chase my cat or play with him ( which just upset him). There was one particular staffie cross who was just unsure of the cat and very gentle so it was OK. I'm wondering whether its possible to successfully board one or two dogs without any stress to the cat,dogs,or me?! I guess there are some dogs who live with cats, or maybe even apprehensive of them without feeling the need to chase or play? And I guess most dog owners would have an idea. There is also the possibility of just keeping them apart but I think this is difficult for the cat. Any advice appreciated!

2. joface

joface PetForums Member

My license conditions state that a resident cat has to have its own living quarters & access to the outdoors (I presume without having to interact with the dogs). Each council is different though. So aside from achieving this condition, as long as the dog usually resides with a cat I would imagine, with caution, you'd be able to do it. But I personally wouldn't even try it if they have ever reacted badly to a cat on a walk for example or if they are untested around cats.

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

If your cat is not happy with dogs I think it's too big a risk. Both dogs and cats can be unpredictable around each other, mine are generally fine but when the dogs are excited for any reason they try to play with the cat and annoy her. So I would say no.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Denise17

5. Denise17

Thankyou very much for your reply . I was considering it but I think you are right.There are too many variables and I don't think it would work.

6. Denise17

7. Denise17

Thankyou for your advice. After reading these two replies I agree that it would nt be a good idea and would cause too much stress for NY cat.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  8. Waggle n Purrs

Waggle n Purrs PetForums Member

I have no issues at all with my cat. I have a stair gate so no dogs (except my own) go upstairs. My cat has a litter tray and is fed upstairs. He goes in and out of the bedroom window. He knows when there are no dogs boarding and then joins us down stairs but otherwise he stays upstairs and sleeps with us at night :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice