Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Boarding School - Your Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Terr, May 26, 2010.

1. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Was having a browse online for local places and stumbled upon this website:

Dog Training UK

Essentially what it seems to be is a 3 week intensive dog training course. You send your pooch to one of their locations and they train him/her for 3 weeks (approximately) for a fee of £640. Seems a bit steep to me. :p

I have no intentions of sending my boy to a place like this but I thought it was an interesting find. What are you opinions? Do you think it's a way for them to make a quick turnover? Or do you feel a short period of intensive training would benefit a dog?

I personally feel that owners who send their dogs to place like this expect them to be magically obedient when they return home only to find that they themselves don't know the first thing about how to handle their pet since they weren't present at the time of learning. Besides, we all know how quickly our dogs can learn, and subsquently, forget. :lol:

2. rona

rona Guest

I've seen fully trained gundogs that have taken two years to train be ruined by their owners in a matter of weeks.
    How on earth can you train a dog in 3 weeks anyway?
    Shock collars? :(

3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Hello.

I think obedience classes are excellent as the owner learns how to keep up the obedience by learning how to teach the different exercises.

However, I think the residentral training is good for dogs that need it.

I think its all down to what the dog would benefit from.

Where I train they offer this:

RESIDENTIAL COURSE OPTIONS

1. Basic Obedience

Duration: 2 Weeks

Cost: £490.00

Total Training: 14 HOURS

This course is designed to provide a foundation level of obedience training for your dog. Alongside a regular exercise routine a fully qualified & experienced trainer will spend 30 minutes twice a day teaching your dog a variety of obedience exercises which provide dogs with the mental stimulation they require alongside a basic set of commands that will aim to make communicating with your dog much easier.

Taught Commands:

> Sit

> Down

> Heel

> Controlled Recall

> Stay/Wait

2. Complete Obedience

Duration: 3 Weeks

Cost: £735.00

Total Training: 21 HOURS

This course is designed for dogs that have a good basic level of training. Alongside a regular exercise routine a fully qualified & experienced trainer will spend 30 minutes twice a day teaching your dog a wide variety of obedience exercises which provide dogs with the mental stimulation they require alongside a strong set of commands that will aim to make communicating with your dog much easier.

Taught Commands:

> Sit-Stay

> Down-Stay

> Heel

> Controlled Recall

> Call to Heel

> Stay/Wait

> Drop on Command

> Leave

3. Intensive Training

Duration: 1 Week / 2 Weeks

Cost: £350.00 / £700.00

Total Training: 10 Hours / 20 Hours

This course is designed to address more specific training needs. Alongside a regular exercise routine a fully qualified & experienced trainer will spend 45 minutes twice a day addressing their training needs. While they will be taught a basic set of obedience commands to follow emphasis will be placed on modifying any problem behaviour through more intensive training sessions.

Common behaviour problems covered though the Intensive Training course include:

· Recall

· Lead Work

· Jumping Up

· Fears & Phobias; cars, bikes, traffic etc...

Aggression cannot be dealt with through our residential training programmes – owners must be present for all training. Please contact our Behaviourist Emma Aguado for further advice.

If you think of what it actually involves, obviously the care of the dog whilst in residence training, and also the hours put in, it can work out to be a good package to the right dog.

As long as the owner knows how to follow up with the dog after the intensive training and can keep guiding their dog in the direction to which the trainer had set, then it could be quite benficial!!

xx

4. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't do it most of dog training is actually training the owner how to do the commands and handle their dog

5. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Yes I agree that owners need to learn, here the owner must be present for all the training....so they do learn x

6. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I'm not against the idea of residential dog training, although I wouldn't use it myself for the sake of it, and I do not believe it in any way makes up for training done under normal conditions by the dogs normal handler (ie owner).

I think it can be a good option as a variation of normal boarding. I mean, if you are going away for a 2 week holiday and would normally send your dog to a boarding kennel, why not send to a training kennel instead? Make the most of it so to speak.

One thing that put me off this particular place is that I could not find anywhere on their site anything about the actual methods they use. No statement about what methods or tools are / are not permitted. There is a vague hint at positive reinforcement, but nothing to suggest they won't consider a choke or shock collar.

As most humane trainers these days really emphasise the fact that they do not use physical punishment, I would worry about a company that fails to mention it....

1 person likes this.
  7. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Good statement, I do agree with you there, they should make clear how they will train your dog, what they may use and the different methods they will put in place xx

8. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Absolutely. It urked me a bit too. Most websites for trainers or 'schools' I've come across are either accredited/approved by some kind of animal welfare organisation (some of these might be American websites I don't really remember) or they put a very strong emphasis on the positive methods they use. The lady whose classes I'm planning to attend actually has a very strict policy on choke collars, electric collars etc. She doesn't allow them at all and that really impressed me.

Seems like this particular company just wants the money. :(

9. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

am probably going to upset one or two folk here but this post has my back up big style and i gotta say my bit. :mad:

1. Sending a dog off to be trained is lazy, unecessary and downright irresponsible. Would you send your kid off in the same manner?
    2. How are you supposed to bond with your dog when it is being trained by someone else?
    3. How are you going to follow on with the training when you havent been involved with it in the first place?
    4. How are you going to control the behaviours that are trained into your dog when you are not there to monitor its progress?
    5. How do you know for certain what methods are being used on your dog?
    6. Can you be sure that the separation will not affect the dog in any way, physically or mentally?
    7. If you are not prepared to train your own dog, or make the effort to go to classes with it, then, IMO, you shouldn't have a dog in the first place!

To successfully train any dog you need to be totally in tune with it, to understand what motivates it, to respect its likes and dislikes, to empathise with its history if it is a rescue dog, to progress together as your learn boundaries, expectations, and achieve your goals. When we all decide to take in a dog or to buy ourselves a cute new puppy we have a duty of care towards that animal which includes training it. Sending it off to a third party is just passing the buck and making them lots of bucks in the process. As a working trainer and behaviourist I would never suggest to any of my clients that I remove the dog from its home environment (except in the case of major aggression issues where safety is compromised - and only then if a possible rehoming was to take place).

CarolineH likes this.
  10. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

I wholeheartedly agree with lucysnewmum. :mellow:

I will just add that if the residential training includes the owner going too so that they may learn how to train and control their dog then great! :thumbup:

But the dog without its' owner? No, no and thrice no. :thumbdown:

11. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I also agree with lucysnewmum!! If you decide to buy/home a dog/puppy then training is a part of that! Not dumping him/her off to a ''school'' to learn it :mad: :(

12. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

thanks for that! (wipes sweat from forehead) :lol:

13. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

I think a residential course would be fun, on the basis you and your dog go and stay at the place, dog in your room at night etc, to enhance your handler skills.
    But i wouldnt take one of mine to stay alone, and a handler train them, firstly i would miss them terribly but also i would worry how they were being treated and also its so soul boosting when a random person makes comments like oh isnt he well trained etc, being me i wouldnt just say thank you if someone else trained them, its like lying isnt it.
    But then again im mad and love training my kids
    xx

14. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

So let me get this straight. You pay to have someone else (a complete stranger) to train your dog to be obedient and then when it's returned to you it's supposed to obey YOU? :confused1:

15. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

I think thats basically the plan there Yes Zaros.
    xx

16. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

It's completely pointless sure get someone to help you train the dog but don't just hand it off to someone else to do it. I would love to do one of the residental courses with my dog but how is the dog meant to obey you when it's been trained to listen to someone else.

18. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

A proper dog training instructor teaches the person, not the dog. A dog trainer teaches the dog. But hand that dog back to the owner and all will go wrong unless the owner is thoroughly schooled in how to give commands, how to be consistent and fair and how to time rewards.

Even worse are the 'dog trainers' who take in dogs to train them to be guard/protection dogs. I have seen some horrible fallout from that practice and it wasn't pretty!:(

19. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

I wonder what the world would be like if everyone had the same mentality about their children :lol:

20. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I knew someone who sent her rottie away for training. I always wondered what methods they were using for it to come back after just 3 weeks perfectly trained. :confused:

It's not for me. I think it's important for owners and dogs to learn together. Every dog I've had has been different, the methods are the same, but you learn what they find hard and when they are ready to move on. You learn what makes them tick and what they like as a reward - could be food, prais eor play. You learn a lot about your relationship with your dog during training sessions.

It's also enjoyable. Especially when you see it come together:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice