Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Boarding Cancellation refund due to cancellation of Christmas bubble

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jack Bushell, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Jack Bushell

Jack Bushell PetForums Newbie

Hi, hopefully someone can help. Tuesday 16th December we booked are dog in at the kennels for 22nd to 30th as we where planning on going to Devon for the ‘Christmas bubble’ however this has obviously had to be cancelled. We have got into contact with the kennels and they are saying it is non refundable. At a cost of just under £400 this is quite a bitter pill to swallow. I am woundering if there is anyway of getting it back as it is completely out of my control and also it was booked only a few days ago so could it be under the 14 day money back law?
    Thank you
    Jack

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Boarding kennels have been hit really hard thanks to the pandemic. People aren't going away so they aren't getting bookings. The kennel I work in is usually running a xmas waiting list in October as it gets booked up so fast! At the moment we will be lucky if we have over 10 lots of dogs in. It's awful. Usually we have 3 people working over xmas, now we'll be lucky if there's enough work for 1 person.
    Although I feel for you I also get where the kennels is coming from. I'm assuming you didn't take out holiday insurance as you weren't going anywhere? Maybe worth contacting citizens advice? Unfortunately if you signed a boarding contract that said no refunds there's not much you can do.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Holiday accommodation providers are obliged to give full refunds so I do not know why boarding kennels would be any different.

ForestWomble and Jack Bushell like this.
  4. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

I had my cats booked into a cattery for a holiday in May which never happened. I was able to cancel (about a week from the date) and didn’t pay anything. But then again, I hadn’t paid anything at that point as would have paid when I dropped them off. Have you paid a deposit or the amount in full? I’d have thought a deposit might be non refundable, but not sure how they can charge they full amount - if I that’s what you are saying - when your dogs aren’t being looked after by them.

Lurcherlad and LMH0307 like this.
  5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

The 14 day rule relates to distance selling regulations.

6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I was just thinking this. We take a 50% deposit for Xmas bookings, with the remaining balance being paid on collection after their stay. I think the deposit is non-refundable. Paying the full amount up front is unusual I think.

Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

8. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Member

9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Can you ask them if they would hold the money so you can go later on next year.

10. Jack Bushell

Hi thank you for your reply, we paid the full amount up front as we only booked it in about a week before they announced that they where getting rid of the Christmas bubble. We have said we would be happy with credit and to book them in for a week next year sometime, however they are refusing a refund and a credit note. Unfortunately we paid via bank transfer as well because there card machine wasn’t working so we can’t even claim on our card insurance.

11. Jack Bushell

Unfortunately they have said no to credit notes or refunds.

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Is it somewhere you have used before. If you do not mind being blacklisted it might be worth speaking to trading standards. There is definite advice from the Scottish government at least that a full refund must be given for cancelled holiday accommodation this Christmas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice