Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Biting in Kitchen

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by HarrietPD, Jan 1, 2021.

1. HarrietPD

HarrietPD PetForums Newbie

Hey,
    I have a 18 month old miniature dachshund called Otis and he seems to have formed a biting habit over his food!

For example if I cook a breast of chicken for Otis on a Sunday and then leave to cool and chop up and put in his bowl, whilst the bowl is still on the side if anyone but myself touch’s Otis he bites them, and it’s not a usual playing bite, he has bruised and pierced the skin on a few occasions.
    Can anyone recommend ways to stop this behaviour? We will have a toddler in the family soon as I’m worried incase he ever did this to a child.

Thanks

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

He sounds a bit stressed around food it could be resource guarding or just he is getting worried because he can see it but doesn’t have it. Either way I would maybe pop him in another room or crate with a chew or Kong whilst I was cooking. Don’t touch him if you know if will result in a bite. With your toddler just ensure Otis is left to eat alone.

karenmc, Torin., Lurcherlad and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice