Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Bite Question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by adjuster, Jul 16, 2019.

1. adjuster

adjuster PetForums Newbie

I have a question about a dog bite.

I was at a person's house and this person's dog bit me above the knee. I checked to see if it had broken the skin. It looked bruised and I could see the indention of the dog's teeth. My jeans were not ripped or torn. The only thing I had with me was hand sanitizer. I wiped it with and continued on with my day.

Later in the evening when I removed my pants, I found the spot has scabbed over and there was a small amount of blood on the inside of my pants.

I contacted the person who owned the dog and he said he has the shot records where the dog previously had his rabies vaccination. However He hasn't provided me a copy of the record. I doubt that the dog is up to date on his shots.

Any idea of the risk?

And if it bleed later would it still be considered a dog bite that broke the skin?

I'm not so much worried about infection but more about rabies. The bite was small.

#1 adjuster, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Are you in the UK?

3. adjuster

adjuster PetForums Newbie

U.S... Oops.. I posted on a U.K site. My mistake

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

No problem, but tagging @O2.0 who may be able to advise.

LinznMilly likes this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Any dog bite, regardless where you are if the skins broken should be seen and treated with antibiotics.

To be honest you did what you could and working with humans with challenging behaviour we were also advised to hand sanitiser as a first line of defence if we got bitten..then seek medical attention and antibiotics given. Yes humans do bite, and yes can cause infection and problems.

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

ive had more infections from human bites, than animal ones
    Agree with @lullabydream completely
    see dr or failing that ER and get antibiotics and maybe a blood test, if you think rabies might be a risk, Im lead to believe that any symptoms are easier to treat before they manifest, than after

Bugsys grandma and lullabydream like this.
  7. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

If there is any chance that it could be rabies then you should seek medical treatment straight away.

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I would definitely try to get the shot records. If the dog had his initial rabies with a booster, he's likely fine, but I would definitely push for the records. If the owner won't comply, you'll have to go to your healthcare provider and explain the situation. They will have to report the bite.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice