Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog bit son...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by SaintHarris, Sep 29, 2013.

1. SaintHarris

SaintHarris PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have a 2 year old Beagle/lab cross and today he bit my 9 year old son.

My son let the dog out into the garden to do its business and opened it again to let him back in. As my son closed the door after the dog had walked back in he caught its tail in the door and the dog bit at my sons thigh. It didnt draw blood or pierce the skin but left 3 nasty little bruises.

Is this nornal behaviour for a dog? How should I have delt with the matter?

Thanks in advance.

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Comparing dogs to humans is not always or often very helpful but if you think of your dog as a human how unexpected would this have been? Your son unintentionally hurt your dog and it lashed out - not from aggression but as a response - just as many people do when hurt

Whether this is normal behaviour or not this is understandable from where I am sat - not all dogs are tolerant and ones who can be in a lot of pain and not lash out aren't overly common to be honest so I am sure you are upset as is your son but I don't think you can deal with things like this as it was unexpected and entirely unintentional - the good thing to take from this is your dog did not break your sons skin and dogs can puncture skin if they actually want to - so your dog could be said to have some elements of good bite inhibition

I would however recommend that you watch how your dog behaves around your son for some time just incase he now associated this pain with your son and becomes fearful of him - hopefully nothing much will change but if it does I would recommend caution and a good positive behaviourist

3. SaintHarris

Hi,

Thank you for your reponse.

I will keep an eye on the situation for the next few days. My son gave the dog a cuddle a little while after the incident and as usual the dog licked his face as if nothing had happened so I think all is well now.

Was a bit frightening for all involved as our dog is a very placid happy dog.

Thanks again.

4. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

Hi, welcome to pf :)

I agree with Phoolf, the dog got hurt and lashed out, not a great thing to happen but understandable from the dog's point of view. Have you explained to your son why he got bitten, it would be sad if he thought the dog didn't like him.

5. SaintHarris

Hi

I did explain to my son why the dog bit him. I told him it's just the same as when his sister scratches him and he pushes her back or such like. He understands and will probably be a lot more careful when shutting doors in future.

Thanks

6. evuze

evuze PetForums Junior

That's a big chunky soft area of skin, I'd say your dog did very well not breaking the skin :)

7. clayton1985

clayton1985 PetForums VIP

I got told awhile ago not to look at what you THINK happened because we link it to human emotions but what actually happened. Phoolf pretty much nailed it, like previously mentioned keep a close eye. Just as a side note have you checked the tail to make sure there is no injury? Last thing you want is someone to catch it if there is an injury an something similar to reoccur.

8. SaintHarris

Thanks guys.

Yep, checked the dogs tail. He seems fine.

I really appreciate all the advice.

Thanks.

9. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Your dog was in pain which is why he bit your son. You need to set some sort of system in place to ensure there are no more accidents like this. Please also be sure never to leave your son and dog together, alone - no matter how well they got on, young kids and dogs together really do need supervision :)

10. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Quite normal I'd think if the dog was hurt. The dog doesn't think rationally and would bite out of pain. Just tell your son to be more careful, I know it was an accident and not meant but animals just react out of pain and if its anything like when we catch our fingers in the door I'd think it blinking smarts.

Shame for both your son and your dog but I wouldn't let it worry you too much that's its ongoing, just a split second reaction on the dogs part. Hope your son is okay, must have been quite a shock for him, poor lad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice