Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Dog bit my neighbour

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bobbie gilmore, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Bobbie gilmore

Bobbie gilmore PetForums Newbie

Hi guys I'm new just after some advice my neighbour came by with her 2 dogs that started acting aggressive through my garden gate to my dog who got aggressive also my neighbour put her dogs inside came to the gate for a chat my dog was still being loud so I picked him up and my neighbour leant over the fence to stroke my dog to which he bit her finger it did break the skin but very small I'm absolutely mortified he's never done anything like this I have a toddler and he's never even growled I have no idea where this came from any advice please

2. Tyranade

Tyranade PetForums Newbie

Holding your dog which was guarding his territory may have played a big part in this. By holding him you have given strength to this behaviour.

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

OP - Sounds as if your dog was over aroused because of the other dogs, by picking him up (you haven't given 'strength' to his behaviour) you have confined him, giving him no escape route so when the lady leaned forward he may still have been quite stressed & reacted in the only way he could at that time & was to bite.

I doubt your dog is suddenly now 'dangerous', he simply reacted in the only way he felt he could at that time so in future make sure he has options. If a similar situation occurs again, call him away from the other dogs, take him inside, calm him down & do not restrain him.

#3 Cleo38, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Picking him up and holding him whilst the neighbour reached out to touch him just added to his anxiety and he felt threatened, trapped and defended himself.

Both people missed every signal that this dog was over threshold and put him in an intolerable position.

He should have been encouraged inside and left to calm down.

I’d also avoid any interactions with the two dogs and neighbour in future.

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Dumb neighbor.

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Bobbie gilmore

Thank you for your reply I shall definatly be taking a new approach

Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  7. Bobbie gilmore

Thanks for the reply in hindsight I should've put him inside to calm down and will definatly take that advice on board

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice